Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ported TB pics and tune adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OH, nevermind I see what you mean by backwards... Appartently when I took the arm/gear off of the shaft I rotated it and then put the gear/shaft back on... But honestly would the shaft being on the wrond side really affect anything?

Oh and it all ready stranded me at the end of my street after a day of driving, it went into REP mode, luckily I had my laptop with me...
Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shouldn't have caused it to go into REP mode just by being backwards unless it was seriously binding.... but... I haven't really looked at a throttle shaft to see if the holes are directly perpendicular to the slot on the gear or not... if they aren't, then it could cause that issue I guess.

Also, the blade is made to go in 1 way too and you have the dirty side facing forward... so it's backwards too. You need to also know which is top. If everything isn't perfect, it can bind.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
It shouldn't have caused it to go into REP mode just by being backwards unless it was seriously binding.... but... I haven't really looked at a throttle shaft to see if the holes are directly perpendicular to the slot on the gear or not... if they aren't, then it could cause that issue I guess.
I willl look into it this weekend. But when I did install it the idle flared up big time and then idled high for awhile, drive ok for 1 day then on the way home it went into REP... I do not run a MAF, I am SD all the time, I did not adjust my tune at all, so I am thinking 2 things were going on, 1. maybe the blade is a little croocked, 2. my Desired Airflow tables were off....
Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
Also, the blade is made to go in 1 way too and you have the dirty side facing forward... so it's backwards too. You need to also know which is top. If everything isn't perfect, it can bind.
Damnit, I did not know that, I will look into that as well...

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the high idle on start may be why it went into REP if the TPS is forced open to far from binding. I'll bet that once it's corrected it will be fine. It takes some time and patience to get the blade running without any binding sometimes. Just keep adjusting until it's as smooth as the stock one from full closed to full open. It should not stick at all.

By the way, Home Depot has the correct aluminum rivets to put the TPS cover back together if you'd rather get rid of the bolts/nuts.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Resident Retard

Thanks man, honestly I bought this TB used and I really don't know if worked before or not, I guess I should have stuck it on before I ported it. With the blade all the way closed should I be able to see a slight hint of daylight threw it (around the edges)?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shouldn't be any daylight around the edges when you hold it up to a light or the sun. Sounds like some adjustments are needed at least. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Resident Retard

Well I think I got it adjusted correctly. I took it back apart again yesterday. The blade was not closing all the way due to the shaft being backwards, it would not hit the screw stop... So I flipped the shaft around, and the blade was upside down. It fit much better now, no daylight could be seen threw it.

Tune adjustments:
1. I had to do some idle tuning (desired airflow), I did the RAFIG and RAFPN efilive procedure. This help cure the startup flare, idle inconsistancy and cruise effect when coming to a stop.
2. I raised the Electronic Throttle Control up by 50% to prevent eh P1514 error that I got earlier...

I think the reason I had to make these adjustments is because I don't run a MAF. According to my research the MAF can compensate for the added airflow when intake/TB's are changed...

It is running really good now, I hammered on it on the way to work this morning and if felt like a noticeble gain threw out the RPM range. But I need to do some VE tuning know cause my AFR is off ~.5...

SS_Bnoon_SS, thanks again for you help and pointing out the errors for me!! I really appreciate it!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, the MAF can mask over the slight increase in air at idle and cruise, so that's a good point you threw out there about being SD. Glad you got the physical problems fixed as those faults will wear out the little electric motor pretty dang quick!

I'll be going SD too, only on a 90mm TB, so I'll be messing with some of the same settings later this year. I only wish you had HPT so that I could learn it from you, LOL!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Resident Retard

I am pretty sure that HP Tuners has Idle -> Desired Airflow settings... Just log your Idle fuel trims vs coolant temperature from a cold start... You have to do it twice once "in gear" and once "in park" to get that table worked out.

I will post up before and after differences in those tables in a little bit when I go home for lunch.

Quick Reply: Ported TB pics and tune adjustments