Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ported throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get rid of the bump stop on the TB?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

When i ported and polished mine i did feel better throttle response and it felt like the engine did have a bit more pull. maybe my imagination but atleast i didn't feel like i wasted my time with the p&p
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I've had both.

Save your money and stay stock. Ported TB's unless they are done perfectly can be more trouble than they are worth, things like sticking throttle blades, high idle rpms, etc.
I am glad someone else said this....The thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars GM spent on the TB design are not going to be bettered by a dremel.

If you want a proven gain, get a 90mm intake manifold from a TBSS and a 90mm TB.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am glad someone else said this....The thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars GM spent on the TB design are not going to be bettered by a dremel.

If you want a proven gain, get a 90mm intake manifold from a TBSS and a 90mm TB.
And we all know GM makes the best stuff from factory right
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
And we all know GM makes the best stuff from factory right
you don't think there is some engineering in that throttle body?

Do you REALLY think hogging it out shows positive gains? Turbo and centrifugal guys are making well over 600 HP through the stock TB. I will pass on horrible drive ability and a high idle for 1 HP.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I felt a difference. We wouldn't be modding out trucks if GM made everything as good as you say it is. We all know the G80 sucks, the 4L60e sucks, but I'm not saying the stock throttle body is bad, just that there is room for improvement just like anything else.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I felt a difference. We wouldn't be modding out trucks if GM made everything as good as you say it is. We all know the G80 sucks, the 4L60e sucks, but I'm not saying the stock throttle body is bad, just that there is room for improvement just like anything else.
You are missing my point. The money can be spent BETTER or put aside to do a mod that will net more gains.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got an extra TB off ebay for cheap and did it myself with a dremel in about 2 hours one afternoon. Definite improvement in throttle response, almost eliminated the delay between hitting the gas and the truck moving. Sold the stock TB I had after a few weeks of no idle problems or the TB sticking. But don't get greedy and port too much or too close to the blade, that's how you screw up the idle.

I don't know if I gained any hp, but as a free mod, I'm happy with the change. Been two years and still no problems.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Ported Throttle Bodies are proven to gain power and a noticeable increase in throttle response. I could really tell the difference on my cable operated truck. I got mine from Jantzer on ebay and I'm very happy with.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy

your the last person i would have expected to say this....i guess i should have left my ls6 heads alone because gm put thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars on the development of my heads...sure, GM did the hard part of engineering, but aftermarket porting of factory parts can be bettered by a dremel. porting is a proven mod.

i dont see how money can be spent much better. do it yourself for less than 10 dollars in material.

Quick Reply: Ported throttle body question