Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is it possible to use the Predator shifts and NO tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to use the Predator shifts and NO tuning?

With the price of gas I was wondering if it's possible to put the truck back to stock and then just adjust the shifts on the Predator like you can with the HPP? I recently put the truck back to stock, reset the parameters, reloaded the peroformance tuning and just adjusted the shifts, I left the fuel trims and spark settings alone this time. I wonder . I may put the stock tuning in and try to just program for the transmission and see what happens.
Jim
Old 08-29-2003, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Re: Is it possible to use the Predator shifts and NO tuning?

Yes it is just have to set everything flat and adjust the shift points as you want. But actually if you get all the fuel trims right your gas milage would be better than stock.
The motor would not have to work as hard to get the power out.

Nate
Old 08-29-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes it is just have to set everything flat and adjust the shift points as you want. But actually if you get all the fuel trims right your gas milage would be better than stock.

Nate
Hmm, so it is possible to change the shift quickness and firmness as well as all the other parameters with Predator?? Damm should I to risk frying the PCM for that?
Just kidding. I do not know how anyone fried the computer with this tuner, it is pretty fool proof as long as you follow the directions. So what would the fuel trims be set to other than stock to get better mileage amd performance. Or is that a dream?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:38 PM

Nate
What do you mean, set everything flat? I have the performance tuning in and have the fuel trims and spark set for 0.00% at WOT (untouched) but the tuning takes 91 oct gas. Can I reload the stock tuning to use 87 oct gas and then adjust all the transmission parameters like I want them? NO Predator performance tuning, stock tuning with Predator adjusted shift points? When I had my HPP and GMS maf-c (cold air version), I only used the HPP raised shift points and firmer shifts with the GMS maf, NO HPP tuning. The GMS maf had +5% engraved on it so I assumed it bumped the timing and/or fuel trims +5%, I was using 87 oct gas in this set up. The truck was quicker this way than with HPP 93 or 87 tuning and GMS maf. I wonder if can set my truck up the same way with the Predator? NO performance tuning, adjust spark +5% (like GMS maf) on the stock tuning and adjust only the shift points? May be worth a try!
Jim
Old 08-30-2003, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How the heck do you do this, I want to save on gas money too.? I can't figure out how to adjust shift points without the aftermarket tune! I can only find, adjust performance parameters!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:25 PM

How the heck do you do this, I want to save on gas money too.? I can't figure out how to adjust shift points without the aftermarket tune! I can only find, adjust performance parameters!
hodgeee! I may try to do this by putting the stock tune back how the booklet says to "load saved data". That should put all the stock settings back in right? Then go to the "modify performance" section to adjust the transmission settings. Since the stock tune was reloaded and I'm only changing the transmission settings, this should work, right?
Jim
Old 08-31-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I will be tring this very thing today. I will let you guys know if it works for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
:p
Old 08-31-2003, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, I didn't think you could do that!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I did it and it works!! The only problem was in the shifts rpm and mph clashing with each other. What the heck do you guys set you mph shift point at so the rpm and mph do not fight each other? I had something similar happen to me when I first got the Predator, it was during performance shift settings. I think my mph is too high and the damm thing keeps trying to acheive the mph even though the max rpm will not let it. The only other thing is that you cannot use the 125 mph max speed without the Predator's performance tuning. If I am talking out the wrong hole let me know. Thanks guys!!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:37 AM

Well I did it and it works!! The only problem was in the shifts rpm and mph clashing with each other. What the heck do you guys set you mph shift point at so the rpm and mph do not fight each other? I had something similar happen to me when I first got the Predator, it was during performance shift settings. I think my mph is too high and the damm thing keeps trying to acheive the mph even though the max rpm will not let it. The only other thing is that you cannot use the 125 mph max speed without the Predator's performance tuning. If I am talking out the wrong hole let me know. Thanks guys!!
My 1-2 shift is set for 5870 rpm's and 42 mph, and 2-3 is 5830 rpm's and 82 mph. I base that on when I had my HPP, the +2 setting was 5856 rpm's and 41 for my truck and +10 for 2-3 was 5880 and 82. So I kind go by that when I make changes with the Predator.
Jim

Quick Reply: Is it possible to use the Predator shifts and NO tuning?