Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Post UR Recipe for 13sec N/A 5.3 truck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
check out the first post on this thread. >> https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=6.0+gtech
Which part?
The part that shows your truck went 13.3 on a GTECH with a basically stock 6.0 or the part about what happens when you get a lean spike with a 150 shot?

How accurate is you GTECH vs Real track? I am sure you probably have yours pretty well dialed in with all the testing you do.

I think this thing again boils down to how much does he want to spend, is he capable of his own 6.0 swap and/or what is his capabilities??
Old 01-09-2005, 04:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lean spike and broken piston doesn't have much to do with this thread. the 13.3gtech on a lq4 do. typicaly the gtech is about .3 faster than my actual track time. it was cold out too so figure a couple of tenths for that but then he is about 200lbs less than me so that puts it back around 13.6.

awhile back it seems like someone in a tahoe was running 13's with a Lq9 and a stall. anyone remember that or who it was?

i am not trying to talk him into a motor swap but even if he pays someone to do all the work to his truck the 6.0 swap and stall are still some of the best bang's for the buck.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipper
The key here is RWHP. The LQ9 is 345 FWHP and if he needs to pass a tail pipe test the cam isnt going to get that much more.. Like you said the stall will help also but I dont think its going to be enough..

Somehow I just realized we drifted from his original question of trying to do this with a 5.3. I think we dreamed up the 6.0 and the LQ9 6.0.
I know the difference between FWHP and RWHP. Stock 6.0L's put down roughly 290rwhp add a mild cam to that which might add 20rwhp and a mild stall which effectively adds 30-40rwhp and your there. He's got a set of headers also which would put this combo well over the top.

You're right about him wanting to do it with a 5.3L, I completely overlooked that fact. If that is the case then BlownChevy needs to get MagnaCharger cracking on a RADIX setup for the Rainiers.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:20 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he also said NA, not saying you can't do a NA 5.3 and run 13's but it would be cheaper and easier to do a 6.0. it would probably drive close to stock too.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I know the difference between FWHP and RWHP. Stock 6.0L's put down roughly 290rwhp add a mild cam to that which might add 20rwhp and a mild stall which effectively adds 30-40rwhp and your there. He's got a set of headers also which would put this combo well over the top.
Good points! It would take a LQ9 to get 290 to the ground especially through AWD.

You're right about him wanting to do it with a 5.3L, I completely overlooked that fact. If that is the case then BlownChevy needs to get MagnaCharger cracking on a RADIX setup for the Rainiers.
I was just about to agree than saw Parish's post reminding us that he wants N/A...

Oh well I guess it all boils down to how deep his pockets are and how much he wants to devote to this project!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I need to go back to school to learn how to read AND comprehend what I'm reading.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock 6.0 with maybe a small cam too. The stall in your truck should be the same as a trailblazer stall which has been giving decent results behind 6.0L engines.

Welcome to the site.
i dont think that the TC in the 5.3 is the same on in the I6. the TC your talking about is out of the I6.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by TheLadiesMan
i dont think that the TC in the 5.3 is the same on in the I6. the TC your talking about is out of the I6.
Good point.

Get an I6 Trailblazer converter. A mild Yank3000 or Precision converter would be ok too.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Hey guys thanks for all the awesome replies! Let me answer a few questions some of you had.

Budget: For this project is approx. $7,500 no more than $10k. It might sound like a lot but don't forget labor. I can turn a wrench but due to two jobs, no garage and this being my daily driver I can't afford to have this car up on jacks days on end, so that means outsourcing most of the labor.

I want to stay away from the laughing gas. Whatever power buildup I finally settle on I want it to be always on. I'm just to damm lazy to keep filling that thing back up.

FI. The main reason I want to stay away from this is that there is no kit currently made for my platform. The one thing I have learned from hanging out on LS1.com (when I used to have a 98 T/A) is that you want a kit thats complete and made for your truck. Otherwise the plumbing can be a real PIA and your going to need custom fabrication, which means extended down time (remember daily driver) and much more expensive. FI is great, IF, you have a complete finished package from a reputable builder. Believe me if Magnacharger had a kit with I/C for my Rainer I wouldn't have posted this.

So it's looking more and more like a 6.0 transplant. One of the things that has me concerned about the transplant is adding more weight on the front of the nose. I don't understand why my 5.3 is all aluminum and the 6.0 is still iron block. I was crossing my fingers for an LS2 in the 05 Rainer, but I guess that was wishful thinking. I guess I'm just gonna have to live with the iron block.

Another issue that my hinder me from doing the transplant is the CV joints up front go through the oil pan of the 5.3 block. Will my 5.3 oil pan will simply bolt up to the bottom of the 6.0 iron block?

Finally, Since I want a turnkey 6.0 with H/C already done by an engine builder who would you guys recommend. Also what heads and what CAM should I get keeping in mind I want the best performance while passing emissions. It would be nice if the FASTEST TRUCK list had a column for whether or not that specific buildup was able to pass emissions.

Thanks again guys!

Sebastien
Old 01-09-2005, 07:32 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys thanks for all the awesome replies! Let me answer a few questions some of you had.

Budget: For this project is approx. $7,500 no more than $10k. It might sound like a lot but don't forget labor. I can turn a wrench but due to two jobs, no garage and this being my daily driver I can't afford to have this car up on jacks days on end, so that means outsourcing most of the labor.

Easy with that kind of budget! Will you adopt me??

I want to stay away from the laughing gas. Whatever power buildup I finally settle on I want it to be always on. I'm just to damm lazy to keep filling that thing back up.

Good Idea!

FI. The main reason I want to stay away from this is that there is no kit currently made for my platform. The one thing I have learned from hanging out on LS1.com (when I used to have a 98 T/A) is that you want a kit thats complete and made for your truck. Otherwise the plumbing can be a real PIA and your going to need custom fabrication, which means extended down time (remember daily driver) and much more expensive. FI is great, IF, you have a complete finished package from a reputable builder. Believe me if Magnacharger had a kit with I/C for my Rainer I wouldn't have posted this.

I wish too! post some pics of the engine bay...I got some ideas

So it's looking more and more like a 6.0 transplant. One of the things that has me concerned about the transplant is adding more weight on the front of the nose. I don't understand why my 5.3 is all aluminum and the 6.0 is still iron block. I was crossing my fingers for an LS2 in the 05 Rainer, but I guess that was wishful thinking. I guess I'm just gonna have to live with the iron block.

Or bore and stroke the Alum 5.3

Another issue that my hinder me from doing the transplant is the CV joints up front go through the oil pan of the 5.3 block. Will my 5.3 oil pan will simply bolt up to the bottom of the 6.0 iron block?

Yes it will

Finally, Since I want a turnkey 6.0 with H/C already done by an engine builder who would you guys recommend. Also what heads and what CAM should I get keeping in mind I want the best performance while passing emissions. It would be nice if the FASTEST TRUCK list had a column for whether or not that specific buildup was able to pass emissions.

There are several sponsors that can do this...I know Parish seems to be pretty much up and running on his 408 from CM.

Quick Reply: Post UR Recipe for 13sec N/A 5.3 truck!