Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Powerbond underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerbond underdrive pulley

Flippin nightmare!! It was a biotch to put on and now it has to come back off because it does not go on all the way. I pulled 200 ftlbs on the bolt to see if it would go but nope. So now I am trying to remove it and holy crap it is on there. What to do???
By the way brand new 408 from TSP with ported oil pump, double timing chain, and powerbond under drive pulley.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=476636
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Well read but never really said what he did to fix it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Link in my sig to the tool to press the pulley on. Don't risk damaging the threads of the crank trying to pull the pulley on with the stock bolt.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justatrk
Well read but never really said what he did to fix it.
You asked how to take it off...and iamkeniff linked directly to the part you need...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat pulley, dry ice on crankshaft snout, impact wrench, seat pulley. Install new bolt after the pulley is fully seated. Dirt track does have a killer tool btw....
Old 03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

i just put my pulley in the oven for a little bit and pop all way on with no problem
Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

People, please stop heating your balancers for 2 big reasons

1) The dampening ring is attached with rubber which does not like excessive heat. If you overheat this, the cast iron balance ring WILL come loose throwing hamonics for a fit and eventually fly apart. Ever seen a balancer come apart? Its not pretty

2) You have to press the hot pulley up against the front main seal which is also rubber and wont like excessive heat. Want to have a nasty oil leak up front? Put a hot hub in there

Come on people, use the proper tool and install the balancer at ambient temp. With the proper tools its NOT at all difficult and theres no risk of damaging anything. It's not like the tools are at all expensive either! Heck, go rent a chrysler balancer tool from advance auto for a whole $0 and it comes with the install tool you'll need
Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

You need that crows foot style puller.. It will get it right off.. Just like in my thread look at the tool iamkeniff linked too
Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
People, please stop heating your balancers for 2 big reasons

1) The dampening ring is attached with rubber which does not like excessive heat. If you overheat this, the cast iron balance ring WILL come loose throwing hamonics for a fit and eventually fly apart. Ever seen a balancer come apart? Its not pretty

2) You have to press the hot pulley up against the front main seal which is also rubber and wont like excessive heat. Want to have a nasty oil leak up front? Put a hot hub in there

Come on people, use the proper tool and install the balancer at ambient temp. With the proper tools its NOT at all difficult and theres no risk of damaging anything. It's not like the tools are at all expensive either! Heck, go rent a chrysler balancer tool from advance auto for a whole $0 and it comes with the install tool you'll need
That's a PRO TIP. I recieved the same information from Powerbond, when I contacted them after I had problems with my first install attempt. Also, I posted up my first post, which was an angry rant. And my second post, which was a detailed write up of my second, successful attempt. I really hope this helps. If it helps just one person, it will have been worth the time it took to write it.

The evil rant:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=478807

The successful conclusion:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=479752

Quick Reply: Powerbond underdrive pulley