Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Powerdyne Vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerdyne Vs. Vortech

I'm getting ready to invest in a Supercharger. While I have read nothing but good things from the Radix crowd, I would prefer to run with a Powerdyne or Vortech setup, offers alot more flexibility for me in the future, not to mention an easy way to add on an intercooler setup with a lot more efficiency than that of the Radix.
I'm looking for some input from those who have used either of these two systems. I can get the Powerdyne system for about $900 cheaper than the Vortech system, I'm just wondering which is going to be a better investment. The thing I like about the Powerdyne is that it isn't incorporated into the stock oiling system like the Vortech.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not a fan of Powerdyne. I had one on my previous truck, an S-10, and was not impressed. The kit did not fit well and the bearings in the head unit only lasted 16500 miles. Powerdyne rebuilt the head unit under warranty but I sold the kit at that point.

Tapping into the oiling system for a Vortech is no big deal.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

i had a powerdyne on my 2k 5.3, i lost some power off the line, didn't get any boost till 2K, couldn't keep the belt from squelling above 4K and losing power, head unit locked up within a year and less than 15K (50 miles from an exit in vermont in the dead of winter with two sleds on a trailer), was rebuilt under warrenty, i liked it so much i bought a radix and the powerdyne is still sitting on the closet floor.

IMO you may think your saving 900 on the powerdyne but your really wasting your money buying it
Old 05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I pretty much hate Powerdyne. I broke the one on my Mustang GT twice before I wisened up and bought a Vortech S-Trim. LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a Powerdyne on my Tahoe with a 9 pound pulley. Made great power above 3000 rpm and then slipped at anything above 4500 rpm. So if you're looking for a 1500 rpm powerband and a lot of looks from people trying to figure out if that squealing is a pig caught in the engine bay, get the powerdyne. The Powerdyne get a full five turds on the crap product scale
Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baumgardner2051
The Powerdyne get a full five turds on the crap product scale
Old 05-30-2005, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Well since I am a fan of sqealing pigs and shitty products i'm going to go with the Powerdyne - j/k

Thanks for the input, the $900 difference wasn't a selling point just something that made me want to know some differences in opinions on the two units. I know how Vortech units are i've used a few myself in the past, but never for a long enough period of time (2+ years) to really know about reliability.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even I would go with a Vortech before a powerdyne.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

If you go with the vortech go with the V1. Its a no cost option and it makes more power and is more efficient than the V2 SQ. Since I needed to get more power out of my V2 SQ than it would make, I traded it in for a T trim that has yet to be installed.
Also there are deals with sponsers that can get you into a Vortech for VERY little. Tbyrne did me right when I purchased mine.
Expect on dropiing some coin on neccessary upgrades though.
43lb marine injectors, tuning of some kind, some sort of intercooling (Im using meth and a FMIC), maxflow bypass
Old 05-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Teching In

I ran a powerdyne on my 93 cobra 9psi seen around 6psi of boost pulley on the street and 15psi seen around 11psi of boost vortech pulley when i was playin. never had a problem with it but i only had it for around 6 months. i can say this if the belt is slipping you need to tighten it. powerdyne is a good street SC not be no means a race set up. Maybe mjgjr72 will sell you his for cheap. I can say this also poerdyne customer service is a joke it would be pointless to buy a new unit for a waranty bearings and belt kits are like 120 shipped from 928motorsports. goodluck.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne Vs. Vortech