Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Powertrax/Lock-right

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrax/Lock-right

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these products. It seems kinda cool, and it will get rid of my 1 tire fire , but is it really that easy to install? Are they really that strong/durable? Which one is better?

http://www.powertrax.com/

Also what type of rear-end do I have in my truck. I know its a 10 blolt, but how many spline axles (30?) and what size ring gear(8.5?). Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I remember asking someone about the Powertrax a while back. It's a pretty nice unit from what I was told. It did have the tendancy to stay locked around corners and such. I still prefer a true LSD...

30 spline is what you have, 8.625" gear actually I think you need a spacer for the 8.5" gear.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Had it in and hated it. Surged at highway speeds and hardly unlocked
Old 04-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Mine works great! You will have to get used to the clicking sound it makes when it is unlocking on turns(mostly going slow in a parking lot). When it is locked in, it is the best. I've seen clutch type and cone type slip, but this one never slips. Just my opinion, oh and I have a 12 bolt 30 spline with 3.73s.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a Detroit locker, same principle as the Powertrax. One of the best things about the detriot is you dont have clutshes to wear out, and its pretty much unbreakable. I would guess same goes for Powertrax. They are a little higher in cost, but strong as hell, and 0 slip.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had them before, but they are known to not unlock at all unless you have decent weight in the rear end. If you got a standard cab, standard bed,then they will have a hard time unlocking, which can be a little scary on fast 90% turns. Some vehicles they cannot be heard, and some they are pretty loud when ratcheting. They are pretty strong, but they are only as strong as the open diff on your truck.