Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Predator fried my computer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator fried my computer!

I have had a Predator in my truck for the past year. Had lots of problems at the beginning (went thru 3 programmers before one finally worked) Diablo did work with me on these problems. I had some tranny issues and took it to Gm and they reflashed the computer and put a factory downshift update in the computer. I left it alone for about a week then went to put the predator program back in and it went about halfway then froze. I had to have gm come get it and they said that the pcu had internal failure. They replaced it under warranty (lucky). I will not be using the predator programer ever again. Also have a buddy that installed the predator into an 03 Tahoe and he lost his computer (don't know if it was because of the predator or not) Maybe it has something to do with the 03's. Or just bad luck on my part.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had mine for about a year as well and have had no issues after the intial problem on the first day of using it. It froze up and just said communicating for 2 freaking hours!! I unplugged it and turned the ignotion off then back on and the truck was fine. I have also heard that messing with the door locks and anything else can cause problems but that is all hersay. As of now I do not have a Predator tune in my vehicle, just adjusted all the parameters for shifts, pressure, quickness, fuel at WOT etc. and have no issues. I have heard all this before and I think if I had to do it all again I would have went to Nelson Tune instead, Allen is a good guy and would retune your pcm if you did not like the tune you bought. Many others will tell you the same. The thing that sucks the most is the Predator links itself to your vin# and cannot be used to tune anything else. This is how they control you not using it on multiple vehicles and tuning others for a price I guess. Good luck with your truck man.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

For $75, you can send your programmer to diablo and they will unlock it for you.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

happened to my old 01 sierra warranty fixed it and then i left it stock
honestly i think ls1edit is the way to go as opposed to these "unirversal" style programmers . or go with some of the sponsors that do mail order tuning .
usally if your battery power gets to low it will freeze the programing and leave you with a fried computer . thats one of the most common reasons ive seen
Old 01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I had a good battery. Gm checked it out. Voltage was good battery was good. Because of my problems before I am good at putting the program in and have done it a lot. I ordered a Nelson tune so I will see how it goes. Also according to Allen @ Nelson it's not common but any handheld can fry the pcm and it does happen from time to time.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

yep had one of them before and finally got a custom tune. never went back.