Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Predator vs HPP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator vs HPP3

So since I havent had any luck getting an actual ls1edit tune, what do you guys think as far as handhelds go? And before you bash handhelds, I know all about Nelsons and whoever else does the usual tuning, I'm not a newbie as you can tell by my post count. I'm not looking into getting anything drastic done to the truck, all I have is ASM's, a magnaflow, and no cats, and I'm not planning on doing anything more really. So if there were no ls1edit tuners around which unit would you use?
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

I would say Predator. I heard things, good and bad, about it but it seems to be the most powerful handheld on the market. I don't have either of those handhelds so that is just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

You can get custom tuning with the Predator via James @ www.Runninwiththedevil.com - you just buy a cable and power adapter from radio shack, he sends you the file and program through email, and you can send files back and forth pretty easily. I have used mine alot for the live data monitoring and the code checker/eraser since I've got allen's tuning.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the Crane/Vinci hand held? Seems pretty powerful from what I've read. How do you think that compares to the Predator?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O3GMC
You can get custom tuning with the Predator via James @ www.Runninwiththedevil.com - you just buy a cable and power adapter from radio shack, he sends you the file and program through email, and you can send files back and forth pretty easily. I have used mine alot for the live data monitoring and the code checker/eraser since I've got allen's tuning.
so could I erase a no 02 simm check engine light?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O3GMC
so could I erase a no 02 simm check engine light with a regular hand held without the custom tuning?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from the Predator. Just buy a used HPP3 for now and later upgrade toa custom tune. You will still be able to sell your HPP3 and your Predator will be worthless.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I would stay away from the Predator. Just buy a used HPP3 for now and later upgrade toa custom tune. You will still be able to sell your HPP3 and your Predator will be worthless.
well i really wont be upgrading at all, the truck isnt going to get anymore performance mods than what I have.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an MTI tune. They have a promotion going on and you are from Houston.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
so could I erase a no 02 simm check engine light with a regular hand held without the custom tuning?
No, you would have to have somone make a custom file with the o2's deleted. If you buy it from James he will custom tune as much as you want for free (at least this was true a year ago). PM me if youre interested in getting his AIM name to ask him a few questions or whatever.

I'll agree that the major downside to the Predator is that you can't resell it, that and it will not log the live data, you have to watch it as you drive, or have someone else that knows what theyre looking at watch it while you drive

Quick Reply: Predator vs HPP3