Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Predator vs HPP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
a) yes famous last words, i'm not doing **** to the truck
b) i cant dyno tune cuz im AWD
c) only thing i'd regret is spending $500+ to tune my truck when im not doing many mods at all.

A) Your Truck is awesome and doesn't need much, My Brother has one. I wish sometimes I didn't keep modding.
B) My buddy un hooked his front ds on an SS and was able to have it tuned with great results, But I know what you mean.
c) I had know idea it was that much.
Still, its a close call because unless you have good luck with predator the os cat delete will haunt you unless you can find some simms cheap. Also shift points part throttle adjustment is nice, something hyp and predator could never get down fo me.
4.10's and 28.8 tall tires was too much I guess.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by creederado
A) Your Truck is awesome and doesn't need much, My Brother has one. I wish sometimes I didn't keep modding.
B) My buddy un hooked his front ds on an SS and was able to have it tuned with great results, But I know what you mean.
c) I had know idea it was that much.
Still, its a close call because unless you have good luck with predator the os cat delete will haunt you unless you can find some simms cheap. Also shift points part throttle adjustment is nice, something hyp and predator could never get down fo me.
4.10's and 28.8 tall tires was too much I guess.
a) thank you!
b) I guess i could do that, but dont want to bother with it
c) for the '04's i think nelson charges pretty high for
I'll probably just try to find some aftermarket cats and slap 'em on since
the stock cats wont fit with my long tubes
d) why am i responding like this
Old 08-23-2004, 10:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what's the verdict? There has to be something out there for those of us who just want some minor tweaks without buying a laptop and expensive software or shipping our ECM half way across the country and hoping it works.

I like the idea of a custom tune, but I'd definitely want a dyno tune if I went that direction...know of any good tuners in Jersey? Me neither, but I'm sure they're out there if I do my research.

But I also think it's nice to make minor adjustments and see how the vehicle reacts, then be able to tune right back to stock for a long trip, or a trip through the NJ state emissons inspection line.

How about some more input on the Predator, and some questions answered about Vinci? There are definitely people seeing gains...I'm not looking to be John Force, just slightly more umph than stock, and no torque management.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
a) thank you!
b) I guess i could do that, but dont want to bother with it
c) for the '04's i think nelson charges pretty high for
I'll probably just try to find some aftermarket cats and slap 'em on since
the stock cats wont fit with my long tubes
d) why am i responding like this
cuz youre j/k...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hink9
cuz youre j/k...
oh hell no! newbie trying to talk some ****!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by creederado
Still, its a close call because unless you have good luck with predator the os cat delete will haunt you unless you can find some simms cheap. .
James from RWTD was able to delete my rear o2's - I kept getting a code for the bank2 sensor2 low voltage - didn't need them anyways so I had him delete them from the tune and never had a CEL after that.

santi - I know you've had problems with MTI or whatever, but if it was me, I'd look into taking the front driveshaft off and getting it tuned by them or Allen, I understand not wanting to deal with it but if its as easy as taking a regular driveshaft out it would be simple and you'd get a much better tune IMO. But if not thats cool too, I have no idea about that Vinci programmer but the Predator would work for you as well I think.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

ILLNALI, I don't know if you would be willing to drive but there is a guy from mcallen that tunes using hptuner software. I am trying to get more info about this guy so that I can give it to you.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I feel like a broke record...but I love my HPPIII. It knocked 5 tenths off of my ET! Whether that is beacause of shift point changes, horsepower increase, or WTF, it did it. I also agree that you can pick up a used one for $200 or LESS, and always resell it if you do upgrade, or sell the truck. I know right now neither is your intention, but I bet 99% of the people who do mod their trucks started out with the same intentions.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

here's a tutorial i made for VHP on their tuner. i've been doing some R&D work with them on the tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm any questions, feel free to ask away.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 PM
I Like Gold!!!

hey chago just go with predator. You can do alot more than the hpp3. You can also find some high flow cats for cheap on here.

Quick Reply: Predator vs HPP3