Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Predator vs HPP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
c) only thing i'd regret is spending $500+ to tune my truck when im not doing many mods at all.
I here ya on the price. I've checked out the pcmforless website, and they have a deal on there where if you have a laptop you can buy a cable and he will e-mail you the tune and you can load it yourself. Total price is $150 ($100 for cable, 50 for e-mail tune) and he can send you further updates through e-mail without shipping chargers. Sounds like a good deal to me, even cheaper than an HPP3.

P.S. Someone let me know if this e-mail thing is not a good idea for a newbie
Old 08-24-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BBLS1
hey chago just go with predator. You can do alot more than the hpp3. You can also find some high flow cats for cheap on here.
predator isnt **** compared to vhp tuner. i would get it, and its the same price.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by mrr23
here's a tutorial i made for VHP on their tuner. i've been doing some R&D work with them on the tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm any questions, feel free to ask away.

I have a question concerning the Crane Cams/VHP tuner. If I decided to remove the tune from the vehicle, can it be used on a different vehicle?? Or is it permanently locked to the VIN like the Predator is? That is one of the main things I like about the HPPIII, as it does retain some re-sale value as on continues to mod and "out grow" the hand helds. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

pcmforless still charges for the updates after 30 days even if he emails them to you.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02denali
pcmforless still charges for the updates after 30 days even if he emails them to you.
True, but 150 vs 500, he doesn't plan anymore updates.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I Like Gold!!!

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
That is one of the main things I like about the HPPIII, as it does retain some re-sale value as on continues to mod and "out grow" the hand helds. Thanks.

No it doesnt. You can find a brand new hpp3 for less then $200.

Chago as far as hand helds go, get the one that is the cheapest being that you are not going to mod your truck alot.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Illnali,

I don't know if your familiar with them or not, but Street & Perf. Electronics make the Pro-Flash unit. I was running this for a while myself but wanted more power, plus I am never finished with the modding. This unit does lock to the vehicle, but S&P has great customer service and we had no trouble sending it to them for a free unlocking. Just had to pay for shipping. I never ran it for times but the guy who bought it from me is running the exact same truck but 4WD and with the K&N Drop in filter and the Pro-Flash, he dropped 5 tenths of the 1/4 mile. It had tuning for 89,91 and 93 octane.

The only thing that I didn't like is that you couldn't change actual shift points. I think the hypertech still has that. I had a hypertech on my 99 5.3 and I liked it pretty well.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThaBionic
I here ya on the price. I've checked out the pcmforless website, and they have a deal on there where if you have a laptop you can buy a cable and he will e-mail you the tune and you can load it yourself. Total price is $150 ($100 for cable, 50 for e-mail tune) and he can send you further updates through e-mail without shipping chargers. Sounds like a good deal to me, even cheaper than an HPP3.

P.S. Someone let me know if this e-mail thing is not a good idea for a newbie
I just emailed Bryan at PCMforless about this and this is what he told me;

"Hi,
Unfortunately there is no inexpensive cable like akmcables for the OBD2
cars, it is only for the 94/95 OBD1 cars. You would need software like
HPtuners.com and I can write you a file, or we need to program your PCM
or do an exchange PCM.
thanks,
Bryan"

So basically for the people with newer trucks you need a $500 software to load his $50 program.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I have a question concerning the Crane Cams/VHP tuner. If I decided to remove the tune from the vehicle, can it be used on a different vehicle?? Or is it permanently locked to the VIN like the Predator is? That is one of the main things I like about the HPPIII, as it does retain some re-sale value as on continues to mod and "out grow" the hand helds. Thanks.
you can move it to any 99-02 fbody or 99-up corvette. i've swapped it between both my 99 and 00 formulas.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Dont know how true this is....... but one of the guys I work with said there is no HPP3 for the 04 6.0 .He got a different tuner I cant remember who makes it but I will ask him when I see him. He did say he was quite happy with it thou.

Quick Reply: Predator vs HPP3