Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Problem with Whipple on my Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Whipple on my Silverado

Got it on , but only showing 3.5lbs of boost. I ditched the whipple computer and had a Westers tune done for it. The only thing not hooked up is the Active Boost Solenoid which has no where to plug in without the whipple computer. Is there anything I need to do there? Or how do I completely disable that? I also had a tune done for 8lbs of boost, but I never had a chance to get that pulley so I'm still running the stock one on it now. Could that be the problem? Also no check engine light either. The only other mods are Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Taylor Thundervolt wires, 42lb injectors, Westers Whipple tune. Seems to pull alot harder but that stupid G-Tech thing says that I'm running 16.08 in the 1/4 versus the 16.22 that I normally run. Seems fishy and I'm wondering whats going on.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Try disconnecting the vacuum tube that goes to the solenoid bypass. Take a look at this picture as it shows it the best way I can figure out.

Whipple Bypass Diagram

It may require a little resizing to read the comments clearly. HTH.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, i feel your pain. if you can post up a picture of your boost solenoid that would be great. Mine looks nothing like the one in that picture. one of the vacuum lines sucks, and one blows. You want to unhook the one that sucks and cap it off. the one that blows should go from the bottom of the compressor toward your throttle body. leave that one hooked up. try that, hope it works. also, there should be a butterfly valve over there somewhere. I believe it should be in the up position with the truck turned off, and it should go down as soon as you start it. If I were you, i would try PMing etc. He seems to know a bunch about this stuff
Old 08-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

So, what about the wire plug in that is there? Just leave it unhooked? I'm going to try the vacuum thing right now.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

It worked I am now seeing a full 6lbs and the truck scoots.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bagg'd99
It worked I am now seeing a full 6lbs and the truck scoots.
Oh yeah, now it's a LOT more fun, huh??
Old 08-29-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. good to hear it worked for you.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I have no traction off the line though. I raced a 98 LS1 6spd Firebird last night from 27mph (killer kick down) and we were dead even until 70 he just barely started to pull on me. Then I raced an SRT-10 from the same speed and, well, I need to get my 8lb pulley ordered and slicks. He pulled on me till he was about 2 car lenghts ahead of me (once he hit second) then we were dead even from 60mph ish until well over 100 (2 car lengths behind though) but he wasn't pulling away at all then.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed. This is the first time I saw this post, but I knew it was the bypass from the first sentence

At least you didn't spend $60 on a dyno when you were only getting 3lbs of boost I dynoed with the bypass open like you were running previously...oops
Old 08-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bagg'd99
I have no traction off the line though. I raced a 98 LS1 6spd Firebird last night from 27mph (killer kick down) and we were dead even until 70 he just barely started to pull on me. Then I raced an SRT-10 from the same speed and, well, I need to get my 8lb pulley ordered and slicks. He pulled on me till he was about 2 car lenghts ahead of me (once he hit second) then we were dead even from 60mph ish until well over 100 (2 car lengths behind though) but he wasn't pulling away at all then.
I really hope you were able to hang with him but I think if he wasn't walking away from you then he didn't know y'all were racing. Please don't take this the wrong but this is the numbers on a stock ram srt10 Ram SRT-10. With 500 horsepower and 525 lb-ft of torque, so if you are putting out those kinds of numbers please post all your mods because I need more ideas. Again I would love to be able to hang with an srt10.

Quick Reply: Problem with Whipple on my Silverado