Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

problems with patriot heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
could they have just tapped the bolt hole to far in? I just want the heads to act right and not leak out all my coolant
It's certainly possible....I'm pretty sure you could silicone the end of the threads and it should be OK, the bolts are gonna heat up but the ends of them will be in or near the water jacket and should stay cool enough to prevent the silicone from melting...if it's a case of the bolt holes being too long this is my only idea for curing the problem (other than sending them back to Patriot)
Old 02-12-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

send em back, I wouldnt try and fix em they owe you a good set of heads you shouldnt have to fix thier workmanship

my .02
Old 02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats alot of work though and Im sure he is tired of working on that truck just as I was with my truck. I would put silicone on the threads and be done with it. Its not hurting anything by having a bolt in the water jacket. It is BS though. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. If you really feel like messign with it I would send them back and get another set but if not I would do like Yelo suggested.

you going to the GTG at HRP on 3/19?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They may be running a tap in there in there cnc process to clean the threads up and may just be going a little deep. Who knows, but if it was me i'd never even call them and just put some sealant on the bolt. Not really even an issue IMO.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
send em back, I wouldnt try and fix em they owe you a good set of heads you shouldnt have to fix thier workmanship

my .02
I agree

how can you be absolutely certain its a bolthole tapped into a water jacket?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kano
I agree

how can you be absolutely certain its a bolthole tapped into a water jacket?

then you are out on labor and head gasket. i know one is owed good workman ship, but count your looses and learn not to deal with them again.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Thats alot of work though and Im sure he is tired of working on that truck just as I was with my truck. I would put silicone on the threads and be done with it. Its not hurting anything by having a bolt in the water jacket. It is BS though. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. If you really feel like messign with it I would send them back and get another set but if not I would do like Yelo suggested.

you going to the GTG at HRP on 3/19?
as long as I get the tranny done in time. I still have to buy a drive shaft and modify my lines. I also have to get my floor shifter in and working. I do plan on it as of right now.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to gunner today and they said it has happened before and to just use sealant on the bolt. I know patriots are not the most expensive heads out there but I would have expected a little better product. Now every time I remove my headers I will lose some coolant.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
could they have just tapped the bolt hole to far in? I just want the heads to act right and not leak out all my coolant

Damn right you want it to work good! You paid good money for those heads! Get what you pay for, I would take that header bolt completely out, then pressurize the cooling system with one of those radiator pressure testers you rent at autozone, if it starts pissing antifreeze the head is junk and needs to be replaced with no questions asked. Other than who's paying for the labor? If no labor refund, maybe you should be offered a free upgrade to the stage 3 head with no additional costs
Old 02-13-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

who knows Summit said they would replace them but patriot said it would not affect anything. I am going to runn them for a few days and see what happens.

Quick Reply: problems with patriot heads