Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Procharger or Vortech???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger or Vortech???

Procharger: intercooled, 8-9 psi, 100hp gain ,$3449 or Vortech, no intercooler, 5-7 psi, 85hp gain, $3549??? I am sure that vortech makes a better unit but....same price and get an intercooler with the procharger...and more power? Is the procharger THAT bad of a unit? What is its major downfalls??
Old 10-08-2003, 11:38 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Procharger or Vortech???

The Procharger is the better unit between those two.

There are other manufactures that you should research also!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, Radix is awesome with a good powerband but outta my price range and not real impressed with the Kenne Bell or the Whipple. I don't really pull anything heavier then two street bikes so I don't need a lot of off idle torque. Gonna have a 3000 stall and full length headers also. I have buddies with Mustangs with Prochargers running high 10s and driving em every weekend so its got to work decent. I heard the brackets and fuel enrichment system sucks on it though.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:46 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The descision should be based on what you plan on using the truck for!

I know Tybrne is haveing a sale right now!-------->
Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

radix is a complete kit, a procharger has hidden costs....If u want good relaible power out of the ATI youll need injectors some Ls1edit and a good tune. i suggest a FP gauge and a boost gauge also
Old 10-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Well, it is a daily driven truck and I am not building a race truck out of it, just would like to turn some respectable numbers at the strip and still drive like a stocker. I would like to run low 13's-high 12s with the blower, converter and other bolt ons along with some good tires. I don't want to spend $5k on a blower so...radix is out for me. I need a kit that is going to be reliable itself to. I know Vortech chargers are very reliable (least the new ones are)and simple in function but the lack of intercooler really limits its performance on a cast piston motor. THATS why I was thinking Procharger but I have heard some complaints about the ATI's brackets being weak(causing belt problems) and not fitting well and the unit leaking its stand alone oil supply. Also tuning issues. I want this thing to run like a stocker until I hit it. I don't mind getting it dyno tuned once its all in but I am not sure of all the loop holes aka. injectors, tuning issues etc. So anyone with a ATI on a 5.3 I would love some feedback. Vortechs also but....For $3500, I want more then 85hp gain. I want a decent gain in the midrange to, not just 100hp gain at 6k rpms.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Once you buy injectors, LS1 edit, and a stall---$2000, to go with the procharger you're at $5600.

I think a radix will run harder right out of the box than a procharger with those upgrades. And be more trouble free.

This is coming from a procharger owner.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Teching In

So basically, You can not buy a kit, install it and it actually "work" the way its supposed to without aftermarket parts installed? Why would they not sell injectors with it or atleast suggest you add them before your motor pops?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Teching In

BlackBrown 02, has your ATI been problematic? See, my reasoning was that with either blower, I will still need the stall converter so if I bought the cheaper blower, that would leave some scratch for the headers and stall converter but I may be opening Pandora's box on this supercharger thing. I have done the nitrous thing and it kicks *** but I want something more readily available and less finicky to daily usage. Don't really want to spend the money on building a motor, say $3-4k atleast, to maybe gain 40-50hp over the stock 5.3 and have a gas pig I would be working on all the time. I guess thats why most people just live with the little BS bolt ons for daily drivers unless they are lotto winners and can afford Radixs. HAHAHAHA
Old 10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

With the kit, It does run fine without injectors. But fueling is very inconsistent with the supplied FMU.

Its scary to run injectors at 95psi(FMU). At that psi they fuel very inconsistently and I've heard they can lock up running that high.

The ATI will give you the highest peak HP numbers, but Radix has alot more power under the curve. I have a 3000 stall and it still leaves the line like a pig. You'll only have 2 or 3psi at 3000 rpm.

IMO, a centrifugal charger is good for a light car, but needs alot more work to make it fast in a heavy truck.

Quick Reply: Procharger or Vortech???