Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Projected build... Comments, concerns, advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you are set on that intake & cam combo(on stock heads??..........), it's going to be a dog for a daily driver, unless you run a higher stall speed converter. 3800-ish is when that combo will "wake up". Don't get us wrong, it will be a high rpm SCREAMER(unless the stock heads choke the **** out of it), but your daily driving will suffer.

If you can handle a loose & high revving converter on a day-to-day basis, then go ahead with your plans. If you want something with some bottom end grunt, that you don't have to rev to the moon to make power, then you need to rethink your plans. The use of a 60/65E in your heavy SUV is also a bad idea, in my opinion.

BTW, I'd bet that cam you have would LOVE nitrous.... Are you building a race SUV, or a daily-driver street bruiser?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to build a street beast suv and play at the track but I really enjoy a good quick take off, I can always sell the cam because I'm pretty sure a converter of that stall speed will not be enjoyable on the street..... I was wanting to keep the LSXRT but I guess I can sell that too lol I was really hoping to stick with a 65e since I'm also awd and thats Alot to convert maybe with 410 or 456 the 65e will be freed up a little
Old 10-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you can sell it, I would, find a better suited cam for your particular set up.. Yah that cam would be beast in a 3500lb car with a 3800 converter..
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the LSXRT with a straightedge. If it's good, use it. Guys were getting them and trying to bolt them on and finding out the ports were warped, that's the issue. If you've already got it, check it. Also, in the unfortunate event that it is warped, there's already been one member on here who successfully had it fixed by FAST. Don't sweat the intake manifold.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How set are you on keeping it N/A? I personally would never run a cammed 6.0 in a vehicle that heavy. Basically b/c running a bigger cam is going to suck in city driving. And running a smaller cam is going to dissapoint on the highway.

For nearly the same money, you could run FI and put more power to the ground and have a better DD.

If you want to keep it N/A. Get some ported 243s. Keep the intake and run that cam. To optimize your setup for 1/4 mi performance, yes you need to run a bigger stall. But for street use, it wouldn't hurt to run a lower rpm stall converter and leave a little WOT performance from a dig on the table. Running a 80e behind a cammed 6.0, or even a h/c/i 6.0 is going to suck. I wouldn't want to do it.

If it was my truck and money, I'd go with a kb 2.8. I'd look for a used one in good shape. Sell the intake for LT money. Sell the cam for blower cam money. Run a tbss intake. Then run the 80e behind it. I'd wait on the 4.10s just to see how it ran with the stockers (prob 3.42s). Beauty, IMO, of fi is the fact you can make a shitload of power with stock heads and intake. And the lower compression of the lq4 will allow for more boost.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
How set are you on keeping it N/A? I personally would never run a cammed 6.0 in a vehicle that heavy. Basically b/c running a bigger cam is going to suck in city driving. And running a smaller cam is going to dissapoint on the highway.

For nearly the same money, you could run FI and put more power to the ground and have a better DD.

If you want to keep it N/A. Get some ported 243s. Keep the intake and run that cam. To optimize your setup for 1/4 mi performance, yes you need to run a bigger stall. But for street use, it wouldn't hurt to run a lower rpm stall converter and leave a little WOT performance from a dig on the table. Running a 80e behind a cammed 6.0, or even a h/c/i 6.0 is going to suck. I wouldn't want to do it.

If it was my truck and money, I'd go with a kb 2.8. I'd look for a used one in good shape. Sell the intake for LT money. Sell the cam for blower cam money. Run a tbss intake. Then run the 80e behind it. I'd wait on the 4.10s just to see how it ran with the stockers (prob 3.42s). Beauty, IMO, of fi is the fact you can make a shitload of power with stock heads and intake. And the lower compression of the lq4 will allow for more boost.
I like this........ I like this alot, as a matter of fact maybe I should follow your lead and do exactly this. Although with a magnacharger since they are alot easier to find. Truck has 373 gear I believe as well, Im sending you a PM with some additional questions.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Man Motor club

Well hell if we knew you were open to FI a blower would've been the first suggestion best of luck
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going with a milder combination and supercharging it would definitely make for a more enjoyable daily driver and in all likelihood quicker to boot..
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Just when I thought I had this figured out now where do I go, what do I do, all the options there are, anyone want to offer a good combo to try, keep in mind this truck has stabiltrac well It might I think I have disabled it, it seems to be locked up now full time, I removed the TREC fuse, also keep in mind I have a 4l65e that I do not really want to switch to a 4l80. Procharger or Magnacharger?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Man Motor club

If you want any reliability in your heavy, powerful truck, you will swap to an 80E. Wait until you blow up the 65E if you must, but regardless of how you plan to make the power, big horsepower and heavy weight make short work of the 4L60/65/70E transmissions.