Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

pros/cons and removing cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom line is: The freer the flowing exhaust you have, the more bottom end you lose. Though you gain more on top end.
Depends on what you want to do with your truck really.
If your going to use it for pulling, work, and daily driver 75% of the time, then just leave the cats.
If this truck is going to be an occasional driver and for track purposes, then it would be worth removal of the cats.

Jim
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have not seen first hand, but have read on here the A/F ratio will go rich. My guess is with a bit of tuning to get the A/F in line you will gain power.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Bottom line is: The freer the flowing exhaust you have, the more bottom end you lose. Though you gain more on top end.
Depends on what you want to do with your truck really.
If your going to use it for pulling, work, and daily driver 75% of the time, then just leave the cats.
If this truck is going to be an occasional driver and for track purposes, then it would be worth removal of the cats.

Jim

I disagree. Backpresure is bad period. Its the velocity that you generally loose that hurts you. removing the cats with a proper exhaust will yeild more gains thru the whole rpm range. Also a lot of people feel like they lost bottom end because its louder,and we all know louder means faster.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Is programming needed after removal? I reall want to do this but don't want it to cause problems.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black Nali
Is programming needed after removal? I reall want to do this but don't want it to cause problems.

you'll get a SES light, when you get your tune they'll be able to delete the rear O2's...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I gained power through the entire RPM range, from idle all the way up. It feels much torquier (if that's a word) down low, and it screams up top. It was a TON easier to tow a 6000 lb trailer than it was before, and I think my overheating problem might be fixed as well *crosses fingers*. Also seeing a 1-1.5 mpg increase.

For the tuning, I was told that I needed to turn off Cat Over Temp (COT) protection, disable the cat efficiency codes, and disable the rear O2 codes. I went and had desTRUCKtive help me since he has HPTuners, but I think it was already disabled with my PCMFORLESS tune, so we ended up not having to change anything. It's been 5 days and still no SES light for me.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of tune, can't you just plug in O2 simulators?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

I'M There! Too many Pro's & Not enough Con's for me! I like it loud anyways. I was going to get the electric valve for the cut-outs but I haven't capped them up in over 4 months.LOL Hell, even my wife thinks is sounds Bad ***. And she drives a frickin landrover!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Launching!

I'm getting ready to do it myself, hope it is worth it. Muffler shop said they would take them off for $50.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a before and after log of torq with HPTuner and without any tuning i gained 28lbs of torq and it was running super rich. After tuning i loged again and it gained a total of 39lbs of torq. I don't know how acurate it is but the butt dyno felt the gain. BTW it never threw any codes.

Quick Reply: pros/cons and removing cats