Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Pulling the motor!!! Need some assistance please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the motor!!! Need some assistance please.

Hey fellas!! OK so I'm tearing down the engine dress up right now so I can pull this beast out of it's little home. Right now I'm trying to remove the knock sensors from the valley cover!! My question is how do I take them out without damaging them???

Also the power steering pump is giving me some troubles too!! What am I missing here??? I removed all the bolts including the little nut on the back side connected through the bracket!! But it still wont come out all the way. It wiggles around alot and I have most of it coming but it seems to either be caught somewhere or there is a connection there that I am not aware about!!! If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

did you red the tip tricks section on the top of this forum. it has step by step removal info
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the knocks there is a special pair of pilers you should use it helps grip the sides of the plugs. you can do it without them but i recomend something similar.

also they just unscrew when you need to pull them out
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to take the knock sensors out to pull the engine - just unplug the connector at the back of the engine, then take them out later once the engine is out.

I didn't have any problems with my PS pump - took the pulley off, then all the bolts, and kind of pushed it aside and it went. Maybe you have a line that is snagged on something?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree just unplug the plug to the knock sensors and my ps pump i left it in the truck it just unbolted and slid to the side.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think you need to take off the pulley
of the PS pump to pull it aside. Make sure
all the front bolts are out and the nut on
the back that's on the block. You should be
able to set it aside.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by La Riddler
I don't think you need to take off the pulley
of the PS pump to pull it aside. Make sure
all the front bolts are out and the nut on
the back that's on the block. You should be
able to set it aside.
I couldn't get the bolts out of it without taking off the pulley - tried and failed.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunder550
I couldn't get the bolts out of it without taking off the pulley - tried and failed.
I did it on mine.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It worked!!! I didn't take the pulley off!!! The funny part is, if you just remove the bracket from the block itself (one 15mm bolt)...then remove the three bolts that attach it to the block. It comes right off no problem Thanks fellas!!

On another note, I didn't remove the fuel rails out of the engine bay!!! I didn't have the tool to remove the fuel lines from the return and feed!! So I took it off the intake manifold and removed the manifold only!!! Will I be able to still get this motor out of the engine bay without taking the fuel rails completely out???
Old 04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
It worked!!! I didn't take the pulley off!!! The funny part is, if you just remove the bracket from the block itself (one 15mm bolt)...then remove the three bolts that attach it to the block. It comes right off no problem Thanks fellas!!

On another note, I didn't remove the fuel rails out of the engine bay!!! I didn't have the tool to remove the fuel lines from the return and feed!! So I took it off the intake manifold and removed the manifold only!!! Will I be able to still get this motor out of the engine bay without taking the fuel rails completely out???
Don't see why not, you should be able to flex it out of the way. If not, go to sears and get the fuel tool for like $10.

Quick Reply: Pulling the motor!!! Need some assistance please.