Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

purple converter is thick

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opened the box mine came in I was def thinking
Old 08-24-2004, 07:28 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone already hasn't said it, welcome to the board 2toneblown (and juiced01s10). When you get that truck finished up, I'd like to see it run.

Jim - That is one ugly converter. Don't show that to too many people.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 PM
single digit dreamer

it's alive. i am beat and only got to go around the block a few times but so far so good. it has a firm shift but when going easy on it the converter is loose enugh to soak most of it up. just driving around the conveter feels just like the yank. prety tight. i did a quick light brake stall and was able to get it over 2000rpm without moving so i think it will work good. have to wait and see how it like full throttle launchs but i i wont be able to report on that for a day or two.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
it's alive. i am beat and only got to go around the block a few times but so far so good. it has a firm shift but when going easy on it the converter is loose enugh to soak most of it up. just driving around the conveter feels just like the yank. prety tight. i did a quick light brake stall and was able to get it over 2000rpm without moving so i think it will work good. have to wait and see how it like full throttle launchs but i i wont be able to report on that for a day or two.
I think you can put in a tranny quicker than any trans shop! Nice job!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Might as well add my Hughes to the pic gallerv. This is it next to the TT3k.

Jim, my Hughed converter was major loose when I first put it in. Loose enough for me to not like it. It did tighten up after some miles were on it though. I would expect the same thing to happen with yours too.

Good to hear you got it in, hurry up and get it broke in and tell us how it runs. You know you're gonna have to take it back to the track and get kicked out again huh?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh ... I remember someone, maybe L-Eater had an issue with just drilling the holes on the flex plate. Something about he got it off center a little and it messed up the motor somehow. It was something about the crank broke he thought or something. I don't remember much about it, but I know it was determined to have been because of the converter and flex-plate not lining up well or something.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:19 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Flyer
Oh ... I remember someone, maybe L-Eater had an issue with just drilling the holes on the flex plate. Something about he got it off center a little and it messed up the motor somehow. It was something about the crank broke he thought or something. I don't remember much about it, but I know it was determined to have been because of the converter and flex-plate not lining up well or something.
thats just great. i dont think i will have a problem with it. with the crank spacer i was able to get the holes perfect. the spacer fit the converter hub and lined everything up for me. the only problem i see is there is less material there then there used to be.

i am torn on weather i want this converter to be loose or tight. if it is loose it will be quicker without the nitrous and that is cool but might stall to high when i spray it. i just dont want it to stall to 4000+rpm when i spray it.

it was soo nice to drive my truck, i think it has the perfect sound to it. a deep rumble without being loud and it quiets down when cruzing down the street. i bumped the throttle while driving up this hill and got instant furious wheel spin. i only went about 1/2 throttle and only for about 1 sec. i saw 7psi and 42lb's of air at 4300rpm. it felt very responsive, i dont know if the converter had something to do with it or perhaps i just forgot what it felt like. i did replace a cracked header so maybe that was killing my spool time.

i will probably be going to the track on friday but i decided i dont want to blow it up right away. probably up the boost a hair to 15psi or so and leave the nitrous at home. see what that feels like. try and enjoy it for a few weeks before i start pushing it again.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now that you say that about the crank spacer, I think that was what his problem was. He didn't have the 6 flex plate and no spacer. The bolts lined up I think but the converter snout didn't go into the crank any so he got things a little off balance.

I know how you felt. I was grinning ear to ear for 2 days after I finally got mine back on the road. Have you thought about putting a new exhaust on it? I really like the way those Hooker mufflers sound. They are quiet and tame at cruise and REALLY deep at idle. At WOT they absolutely scream.

The other night we were at Johnny Carino's eating. When we left I started the truck up (no gas or anythign to help it start). Once it fired, I heard this alarm prestage go off. It went off 3 consecutive times back to back and then set off the full alarm. I could do nothing but smile and laugh.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks lots of good stuff on this sight. I will post times and list of mods after I get it back to the track in like 3 weeks. I want to see a 12.xx out of this V6 before I decide to rip it out and put a 6.0 in it