Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

putting valve springs on a 4.3, got a pic for you to look at

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default putting valve springs on a 4.3, got a pic for you to look at

got some springs, 918's. also got retainers and locks.

problem is things are not matching up. the locks they sent us are for a smaller stemed valve. i tried using the stock locks with the new retainers and the old locks are thicker than the new locks and stick out a little.

i tried the old retainers with the new springs and they do not fit.

here is a pic of the new springs, new retainers and old locks. this isn't OK is it?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have to say no.....but maybe someone who actually knows will chime in.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure thats no good.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When me and brendan did his, we used LS style locks and retainers I believe.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM

I personally would not run it like that. From what I understand, you want the full surface of the retainer and lock to meet for better clamping force and pull through strength. You are not using the full surface of the lock on the retainer.

Another thing that is most likely being affected is install height of the valve spring. You are most likely reducing install height by doing what is pictured. This is going to put you in to bind sooner and increase seat/open pressures (not always a bad thing, but using a different spring is the right way to do this, or shimming from the bottom).

Can you put a retainer on the valve with the locks that came with it, with out a spring in place. Pull up on it as if there was a spring in it and take a picture. I say to do it with out a spring because if there truly is not enough material to hold it there, your going to have parts flying when it let's go.

Hot Rod Mag Nov issue has a good article on valve springs and components going along with them. If you can find it, it might be a good read. SAM and Westech both chime in with some usefull info.

Obviously the locks that came with the retainers are the same angle and will work properly with them. I'm wondering if the stock locks are a different angle.

Also take notice of the shoulders in the valve (grove cut in to it that locates the retainer). Are they square or round? is the after market lock the same?

Do you have a caliper? Measure the diameter of the valve and the shoulder. Try to get the specs for the reatiners/locks and see if they are right/wrong for them.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is the locks and the retainers. To run LS1 style Beehives in a SBC (or in your case ¾ of a SBC) designed with 11/32" valve stems, you will need to use a hybrid retainer. Comp makes such a retainer Part # 787-16 or # 788-16 if your a Titanium type of dude. The dash 16 part of the number is for a 16 count of that part number; however I don’t see where they have the same parts available in a 12 count, so you’re just going to have some spares lying around. Once you have the proper retainers, all you need then are the typical 7degree set of locks for an 11/32” valve stem.

You can not use the standard 8mm locks and retainers designed for a LS type engine.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 PM
single digit dreamer

thanks. i didn't order the parts because i didn't know what to order so we called up lingerfilder and told them what we were doing. sounds like they need to consult with 1bear before sending us parts.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by parish8
thanks. i didn't order the parts because i didn't know what to order so we called up lingerfilder and told them what we were doing. sounds like they need to consult with 1bear before sending us parts.
Absolutely Jim, Jarrod has a wealth of knowledge and could consult most of the companies that we dump coin with
Old 10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something else to note is the typical Beehives that are designed for LS1's are set to have an installed height of 1.800", instead of the factory SBC height of 1.750". You can get the installed height of 1.800", however you will need a +0.50" steel lock/keeper to do it. If you just install the above listed retainers with standard position locks at the 1.750” spring height, you will have a couple of things happen: (1) is you will obviously increase the seat and open spring pressure and (2) you will limit the overall amount of lift you can run before you have either coil bind or retainer to guide interference. One good thing about the design of the hybrid retainers is they offer a little more clearance underneath for additional guide/seal clearance. I would add that there is nothing wrong with installing the springs at a 1.750” installed height as long as you know it going in that your going increase the pressure and loose some lift capability from the start and plan on it, hell you may want or need the extra pressure. I understand you picked up 918's in which case special attention needs to be paid to the I.D. of the springs vs the O.D. of the guides. I can’t say specifically in the case of your 4.3L V6, but on the typical Vortec headed SBC the O.D of the guides are rather large in comparison to the older SBC’s and the 915’s will drop in, but the 918’s sometimes will not due to having a slightly smaller spring I.D. from utilizing heavier wire. Of course if you machine the O.D. of the guides down a little at the spring pocket, they will drop in as well. It’s just something else that needs verified.

Last edited by 1Bear; 10-30-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I bought my ls6 springs, 7* locks and stock ls retainers from Ligenfelter.

Quick Reply: putting valve springs on a 4.3, got a pic for you to look at