Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Puzzling track results

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzling track results

I took the H2 out ot the track last night to lay down some Friday night runs and get my new results from my 2500 stall torque convertor. This new convertor lets me brake stall up to 2950 or so usually whereas the old stocker let me brake it up to 2250. In theory, I should have had some nice gains but they didn't appear last night.

I was able to pull off three runs in about 45 minutes and they all ranged from 14.66 to 14.61 at 92.46 - 92.84 mph. 60ft times were in the 2.088 - 2.092. The tranny is rock solid and not slipping or delaying shifts. I was only able to brake stall up to 2850 rpm without pushing. That should have been at least 100 rpm higher because I've done it on the street several times.

The puzzling part is that I am always activating traction control since I had the new converter installed. I did have the forethought to disable all the traction control system parameters I could find in HP Tuners but it looks like I'm still getting some. Heres what I see from my track run logs...

Run #1: At 5900-6100 rpm in first gear the TPS went to 7% throttle opening. Above 6100 it was open to 99 like usual. Advance stayed at the programmed 17 degrees. My rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm so it didn't activate.

Run #2: At 2900-3000 rpm in first gear the TPS went to 11% throttle opening. Above 3000 rpm it returned to normal 99%. No loss of timing.

Run #3: At 3200-3300 rpm in first gear the TPS went to 24% throttle opening. Above this rpm it returned to normal 99%. Timing stayed where it should be.

I get the traction control active message at that 3000-4000 rpm range. In the HP Tuner tables for traction control I have zeroed out the timing loss from the traction control function labelled "retard vs rpm" and "aggressive retard vs rpm." All torque management was nulled previously.

None of these throttle closings were ever noted on the street during logged runs with the new convertor.

Note: The H2 has a electronic throttle control. It also has full time traction control and there is no button to disable it. The only means of disabling is to go into the program itself and zero out the values.

It looks to me like the new torque convertor is doing one of the following...

1. Activating traction control in a new "undisclosed-in-the-programming" kind of way that only triggers the throttle control. Maybe from a speed difference detected between the front and rear axles. (I can't find something in the HP Tuner program that deals with such a difference).

or

2. Allowing acceleration to occur at a faster rate than the program allows and the Throttle is closing to counter act that (can't support this because I can't find anything that looks like it works in that capacity in the program). This option sounds stupid so I'm leaning toward number 1!

Any ideas anyone? I couldn't find any threads referring to this type of issue on HPT forum or on SilveradoSS. It looks like I'm stuck at a very consistent 14.6 until I solve this one.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Default Smacked down Dodge again

Almost forgot to claim my second Dodge turbo diesel victim

This guy was staged in front of me and walks back and asks what I've done to my Hummer. I tell him that I put a Radix supercharger on it (no sign of recognition or respect from the foolish one...) and a convertor. He can barely wait for me to finish telling him before he jumps in with the claim that his truck makes 500 and some rwhp and "1200" rwtq.

Well, I don't pay much attention to Dodge boys so I go back to waiting my turn to run. His turn comes and the guy pairing up the vehicles asks him if he wants to run me. Hell yeah he does. I nod approval to the director and we roll on up. Once again I figure if he's telling the truth he'll kill me. Honestly that's okay, too, because I've seen a big bad-*** 7000lb+ turbo dodge run 12's. It can happen.

Not on this day, though

Heres the tale of the receipt-

Hummer H2: R/T=.100 60'=2.088 1/8=9.39@74 1/4=14.64@92.46
Dodge: R/T=1.033 60'=2.875 1/8=10.9@72 1/4=16.096@95.93

Not even close even IF he had left on time These dodge boys talk a lot of ****, but rarely back it up.

By the way, his POS broke at the line on his next run and caused my IAT's to be about 10 degrees higher. It's okay, though, I still ran a 14.65 @ 92.8mph
Old 06-19-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Great kill Cory

I wonder if he's going to sell his too........
Old 06-19-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Great kill Cory

I wonder if he's going to sell his too........

That's not nice. The first one sold his for good reason... not just because it was a Dodge
Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked into abuse mode in your tune -- also it might be torque management on the high rpms, but the 3k? Weird one there -- that's what makes me think it's abuse mode. I wonder if the stall is tripping something tranny wise that's hitting the AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Have you looked into abuse mode in your tune -- also it might be torque management on the high rpms, but the 3k? Weird one there -- that's what makes me think it's abuse mode. I wonder if the stall is tripping something tranny wise that's hitting the AM.

Could be.... I considered the possibility late last night and verified all my trans abuse mode settings were at 0. They were. However, in the engine section under the engine torque management settings there is a drivetrain abuse mode that was already set to enable at rpms greater than 6800 and mph less than 1. The associated abuse mode timer was set for 1 second and I changed that to be 0 seconds. If I was launching at 2900 or so rpms then I could be hitting 1 mph right about 3000 rpms. Would meeting only one of the conditions (">6800rpm= false" but "<1mph=true") go ahead and enable the abuse mode? Hmmm, I wonder? The help section says that abuse mode affects spark. This was definitely a throttle blade closure only spark stayed right at what my high octane table commanded.

Ken from Hp Tuners told me to look at my "ETC TPS max vs RPM vs % Max Available torque" On his advice, I set this to all "100's" so 100% torque would be available at all throttle conditions. At the track I had only made the 87.5% throttle and higher "100's".

Other than these things I'm at a loss. I'm not sure how either of these could really factor in, but these are the changes I've made. What kind of sucks is that I can't replicate the situation on the street so I can't test to see if it's gone until I go back to the track. It still makes me think that there is something to the increased traction and thereby increased acceleration that the truck gets o nthe track. Maybe too much airflow at a given rpm or something is tripping whatever is causing this?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much airflow would throw some codes and / or disable the throttle completely (which is sooooo fun -- no throttle until you reset the code).

You've disabled TM completely? In both the engine and trans sections?

TM will close the throttle blade on ya... I vaguely remember seeing a post by Parish on this a looooooong while back.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn good times though for that heavy beast
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Too much airflow would throw some codes and / or disable the throttle completely (which is sooooo fun -- no throttle until you reset the code).

You've disabled TM completely? In both the engine and trans sections?

TM will close the throttle blade on ya... I vaguely remember seeing a post by Parish on this a looooooong while back.

Something I'm not sure about... does the HP tuner datalogger record codes that are set during the logged run? Or do the codes only show up in real time? No codes show up as I replay the logs.

I went and dug up the posts from Parish. I checked the things he mentioned that corresponded to my options for my 2004. All that I had were zeroed out on mine. A couple of tables he had were not available for me in my tuning.

I did notice one other thing in my log. When the throttle closure happens one of the injector banks drops to approximately 4 ms while the other stays at approximately 13.5 - 14 ms (60 lb injectors don't need to turn on for very long at wide open throttle). When the throttle opens back up the constants equal out again as they were before the closure. Anyway, I thought that was odd.