Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question?

I'm thinking of running a throttle body spacer on my truck, the only thing is that I already have a K&N FIPK and that will not allow the spacer to fit with the stock fans. Should I forget about the spacer and just keep the K&N tube, or put a stock tube on and get the spacer. Any info. will help.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

keep the k and n fipk, actually helps, the spacer only makes a pretty noise, no real performance gain
Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Sexy Party Mod

keep the K & N and ditch the spacer idea. All it does is make it have a wistle with little or no hp/tq gains. I can attest to this. If you are gonna drop $100 bucks then put it in something worthwhile like efans or start saving for a tune.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I would do the e-fans and Nelson harness. The Helix spacers seem to make a little difference. I do know it will give a little bit more instant torque in the low rpm range. Though it will not actually increase overall peak HP or TQ numbers.
It does whistle upon acceleration and certain rpm's.
If you did want to do the spacer and keep your K&N FPIK kit, then just take a good box cutter or very sharp knife and trim the fan shroud until you achieve clearance between the air tube and shroud.
Just make sure you do a little measuring to make sure the spacer will not place the the air tube so far out that it will hit the actual fan blades.
It will be close but should not hit the fan.
I did this to my previous 2000 Silverado 5.3L ECSB. It work out without any problems.
I did the fan shroud notch with just a heavy duty box cutter. It looked factory after I finished. Just make cuts like a moon shape until you get proper clearance. You can mark it, but mine came out perfect by just eyeing it.
The spacer does make a difference, but not a tremendous difference. It made a difference on my old truck with the same CAI kit you have.
You should be able to pick up the spacer for $100 or less.
It's a better mod than these guys spending $60+ on aftermarket plug wires that give no gains, or shorty headers that net maybe a 4-5 hp gain, and spend $400+ on them.
If you decide not to do the spacer, then save your money for E-fans and a custom tune.
That will surely give you a in the seat of the pants feel of more power.

Jim
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep the K&N, do not get the spacer. I did the FIPK and the spacer together about 2 years ago. I trimmed the lip of the K&N tube and got them to work together. After a while my K&N tube kept falling off because there was hardly and lip on the tube for the clamp to hold onto. I had air leak problems. learn from my mistake.....DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUT THEM TOGETHER, I NOTICED NO GAIN WHAT SO EVER WITH THE SPACER and it was more troube than it was worth. just stick with the K&N intake and forget about those cheap whistle makers.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Some install or modify better than others. Mine worked without any problems.
The performance of the spacer is indicated on the box. Gives lower rpm power, better throttle response, and gains in mpg. Mine reacted like it said it would. I also recieved a 1-1.5 mpg gain as well.
Some trucks react different than others to the same mods, but there is different manufacturers of the spacer as well. I went with the Helix Power Tower. It seemed to do what it was supposed to do on my truck.
Also to add, Helix spacers do indicate that their spacer is not designed to work with an aftermarket intake kit. I assume that is due to clearncing issues. I made mine work.
Poweraid makes a spacer and CAI kit that work in combination with each other.

Jim

Last edited by CHEVY6000VHO; 01-02-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll that talk bad about the spacers need to talk to nitro dave @ nitrous outlet they just made a new nos plate that gose behind the tb and i think it was 9hp with just the space not spraying.you'll really need to do the home work not trying to be an ***.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

TXSilverado has a throttle body spacer on his truck. He hasn't complained about it. He's also running a UPD CAI kit.
Ask him what he thinks about it, as he is one that I know who uses one.

Jim