Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question

I have a 99 nbs with 4.8 i just purchased a set of ls1 fans and a nelson harness now since they didnt come with efans do i need to program the computer to turn them on or can i get an aftermarket thermostat with temp probe and just do it that way. If i need to program the computer how or who can do it also i have a second computer that was tuned by wheatley but i dont want to set up for one computer and not the other one. the stock computer has a mild hypertech program on it for the tstat and the tire size and such. any help would be appreciated and yes i checked the forum and couldnt find anything specific to my questions just bits and pieces.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

send the wheatly tune back to him and get him too tune it for the fans, i did mine the oposite with out the pcm controlling the fans and i dont like it b/c its gets up up in the heat range before it kicks on... and ditch that computer with the hypertech
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

well i keep that computer because if i have a problem i have a second computer as a firefighter both career and volunteer and i use my truck to respond i cant be without a vehicle. also i use the hypertech just to program the different size tires and the tstat and the mph limiter and i keep it at the regular octane and i have the wheatly one for a higher octane now that gas has come down im gonna put it back in.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i dont blame ya then if thats ur job.. but yea id send the wheatly back and retune it and put it back on.. i have a 160 stat and my fan controller (which u stick in the fins of radiator) and my fan wont kick on until 209 which isnt bad but 3 times my crap has jumped way way up there which i dont like.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have Efans and my tune is already set to turn them on. You should be fine just hooking it up.
Wheatley should be able to tell you for sure over the phone or in a PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

or wat he said i know one of my buddies had problems with them kicking on.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aksz71
or wat he said i know one of my buddies had problems with them kicking on.
Actually i'm sorry, I was looking at the wrong part of the Tune.
A local Dealer could probably change it for you. But does it say anything in the installation instructions about needing to retune? I don't think Nelson harness requires any PCM work other than wiring it up.
Here's what your PCM should look like right now. Just so you can see.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

it doesnt need a full tune you just have to activate the particular pin because it isnt activated as far as i know in the computer or so i have been told. the nelson harness has a pin that goes into the pcm. I contacted nelson and they said you have to turn on pin 42 i believe i have to double check the email. Im waiting to hear back from wheatley if they enabled it if they did im good then i only have to do the stock one. i went to a dealer the other day and had no idea what i was talking about but said he would find out.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lawson4450
it doesnt need a full tune you just have to activate the particular pin because it isnt activated as far as i know in the computer or so i have been told. the nelson harness has a pin that goes into the pcm. I contacted nelson and they said you have to turn on pin 42 i believe i have to double check the email. Im waiting to hear back from wheatley if they enabled it if they did im good then i only have to do the stock one. i went to a dealer the other day and had no idea what i was talking about but said he would find out.
half the dealers around here dont even know what the hell they are talkin about half the time
Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Truck Sponsor

We checked your tune on the laptop and your fans and temps are not set
We can either mail you a pcm for those changes or you can mail us yours,however you prefer
It takes 10 seconds to do
Let us know
Thanks guys
Wheatley

Quick Reply: question