Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Question about LS1Edit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LS1Edit

MOds- I posted this in the electrical/tuning section too.

I did my first PCM read today, and I see that my old superchips tuning IS in fact still in there, and the tuner box stole my OEM tune I believe.

I opened up the high octane spark table, and see the timing is a higher number in all the boxes than the stock OEM tune I downloaded from the LS1Edit library.

To change these, do I have to go in and change all these numbers in each, individual box on the whole table???!!

I know you can use the feaure that lets you do the change across the board so to speak by percentage,but I am just wondering how it works.

Also, if I try to re-install the tune that got left in my superchips tuner box, and it crashes like it did before, can I use my first PCM read to put my PCM back to operation?

I have a feeling that the box may have my original truck flash in there. The box crashed(said call superchips for help) halfway thru a download, and I had to disconnect the battery cables for a half hour, and then it started(it wouldn't start after it crashed)
I don't want to try re installing the box unless I kow that I can use that first read I have from my PCM to get it back working.
When I say first read, it was from today(so not the OEM flash file), and it will be the superchips tuning that was left in there, but it runs good N/A.
I will be installing my ATI soon, and I have to get this in working order for it.

My Main Q is about the tables #'s and can I use the first PCM read to back up the PCM in case of a failure of the box?
Thanks for any help guys. I am having a time figuring this stuff out, and I know of noone here in Anchorage that knows anything about LS1Edit yet. Sam

BTW superchips is junk, and their tech support is the same. I am sorry I ever messed with it.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about LS1Edit

How much different is the timing you have and the timing you "think" you should have? I've found that GM has added more timing every year fomr 99 on to the trucks. My 1999 had pretty low timing, but newer years timing isn't too bad. Example - with my 99 hypertech 93 tuning, I would see 22*s timing or so with autotap. I logged an 02 truck and was seeing 25*s I think without hypertech.

I suggest you load the superchips on, then pull the info off the PCM once again. That way, you can compare the two tunes and see which one has the higher values, shift points, etc... You can use the superchips as a reference for tuning later on.

I don't think that LS1 edit is really considered a backup system. If the PCM were to crash, it would need a service dept to get it back in action. But then you could load your LS1 edit data back into the PCM. So Edit cn backup your changes and different tunes, but not the whole PCM.

FWIW - I loaded my hypertech, read the PCM, took off the hypertech and sold it. Now I have the hypertech tune saved as a LS1 file that I could load and run if I wished. I used it as a reference when I first started tuning, but have not looked at it in almost a year.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about LS1Edit

Hey, man, it is the same year of PCM as mine, and the timing is a anywhere from a couple degrees higher to around 5 in some areas. The shift points are all raised, no top speed limiter(haven't looked at that with edit tho), and shift time is reduced. I am hoping that my stock tune is in that damn box, but afraid to have it crash and leave me SOL.

If I try to re install the box tune(ie;my OEM flash) and it doesn't work, will my first read backup work to restore the PCM flash? Thanks in advance. Sam