Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Questions about procharger-ATI owners please come inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about procharger-ATI owners please come inside

I have some questions concerning the procharger.

-Does/did anybody have a procharger without a stall? If so, what rpm does the boost kick in or at what rpm can you feel it?

-If you have the stock procharger intake do you know what your intake air temperatures are compared to the outside air, especially in hot weather?

-If you have modified the procharger intake to around the area of the stock intake, how hard is this? How much money is involved in the fabrication, could you feel a difference?

-How much boost are you seeing with the basic procharger setup?

-How high can you take the rpms as far as shifting and the rev limiter? (I know its probably as high as the fuel will let it, just wondering how high it can go with the provided pump)

-With the basic procharger setup, is there any benefit in getting the D1-SC upgrade over the P1-SC? Does the boost kick in faster with one?

-Do all of the procharger units have a helix impeller? (Procharger does make a helix impeller, right?)

Sorry for the crapload of questions. I'm interested in the procharger lately, a guy in town is a licensed dealer and can get them real cheap. I've been getting beat from a roll around 50-65mph alot lately and thought it would give me the extra top-end I need. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Questions about procharger-ATI owners please come inside

My boost kicks in about 2000-2500 as long as I get on it.

My IAT's ar about 20 above atmosphere temp unless I heatsoak it in trafiic sitting still, then about 30 MAX.

My intake is still stock for now, although Dorian did send me a 3 1/2 " piece of powder coated pipe to put inside the stock plastic piece on the back of the throttle body long piece of plastic. Now the throttle body side blows off, not too bad though. Definately need to get one figured out though.

I have seen 10 lbs before I lowered the shift points.

I have enough fuel to do what I want, but I have the shifts set at around 5200 so I don't smoke my tranny sooner. I notice my kickdown into 1st is still too high. I nailed it a little tonight, and it dropped down, and HAULED-that's what kills tranny's though

No idea about the Helix thing. Have had mine on for a few months, and no leaks, no probs really, other than tuning issues, and the intake. It also will slip the tranny if I pin it thru the gears shifting :\ that's why I don't much

W/O the stall, basically, it kinda takes off the line like stock, then squats big time. Sam
Old 08-26-2003, 10:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks man, how much boost are you seeing at 2000-2500? How long was it did the tranny start to slip? Do you have a shift kit or anything?
Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

just like 1 lb. The tranny slipped the first time I got on it after putting it on. no shift kit. I have upped the line pressure outlined in the LS1Edit user guide, and it shifts great as long as I am not WOT throttle.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Ditto on everything LM7 said, except I didn't feel a real difference until about 3500rpm.
I think the p1sc has a regular impeller and the d1sc has a helix. I think you can get a p1sc-h with the helix impeller.
I'm revving to 5800 right now and see 8psi. If yoy are at sea level, you'll probably see close to 10 at 5800.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a P1SC1 for a Fbody. These came with the helix impeller like the D1SC.

<a href="http://69.56.142.114/~haulnad/LS1Tech/jpegs/helix.jpg" target="_blank"><font color="red">Helix Impeller picture<!--color--></font></a>

<a href="http://69.56.142.114/~haulnad/LS1Tech/jpegs/p1sc1.jpg" target="_blank"><font color="red">P1SC1 blower tag<!--color--></font></a>

Boost didn't start until 3500-4000rpm with the 5lb kit on my car. I don't recommend a centrifugal without some sort of extra stall or a six speed.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

-I have a Procharger with no t/c for now. Boost hits 1# at 2000 rpm and builds to +8# to 5800 RPM.

-Haven't checked the intake temps yet

-I plan on doing an intake mod this weekend. I'm gonna get intake tube from here- http://www.bakerprecision.com/airduct.htm
I want to go with the 4" tubing because the s/c intake elbow is 4" but there is a 4" to 3.5" reducer to fit the stock K&amp;N filter. I will need to get a new filter with a 4" opening. I also need to get some 4" metal pipe to use as couplers between the s/c elbow and the tubing, and between the tubing and the filter.

-I've seen up to 10 pounds of boost on my setup.

-I have my rev limiter set at 5900

Old 08-26-2003, 09:08 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Any before/after track or dynos? Thanks for all the info guys!