Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Questions about some mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I understand that going fast is expensive, my opinion is that the money would be better saved for bigger cubes by boring and/or stroking it, or on a top notch set of heads. 1 3/4" headers on a 5.7 aren't choking it out.
cheap headers choke a 5.7 especially pacecrappers [if op has them] gain from the 1 7/8 is worht it plus if you go to another size motor you have them already

this isnt a sbc you need primary size and rpm to make power
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
When you fail the maf the computer automatically defaults to the low octane table. This is why a custom os was created to regain use of both tables. That is why in every tutorial i have ever read it says to copy the high octane spark table to the low octane table.

That is tuning 101, hopefully you misunderstood what we were talking about.
there isnt a need for 2 octane tables in a performance application. those 2 octane tables are for ppl at times to cheap to run good gas. for years beyond most ppl on this site's bdays you had single timing range. it works the same for todays setups as well
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regency
well the bore of the LS2 block is for a 408 rotating assembly.

Also im not saying i wont spend the money on this stuff, i just dont want to spend it if im not going to gain anything or actually loose power.
I went with a LS3 block for the Vette.... I'm thinking of just stroking the LS1 and put that in the truck!! since its got all the goodies on it now
Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by regency
well the bore of the LS2 block is for a 408 rotating assembly.

Also im not saying i wont spend the money on this stuff, i just dont want to spend it if im not going to gain anything or actually loose power.
ls2 = 402 or 403, unless some thing has changed that im not aware of but the sleeves of a ls2 dont have enough meat for .030
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
there isnt a need for 2 octane tables in a performance application. those 2 octane tables are for ppl at times to cheap to run good gas. for years beyond most ppl on this site's bdays you had single timing range. it works the same for todays setups as well
I will agree to disagree with you on that, if that is how you and your customers wanna roll so be it...

To regency, sorry for side tracking your thread.....

Last edited by BlackGMC; 08-23-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i could tell it was thin but i wasnt going to run any nitrous on it so i wasnt too worried. So being that its bored that much how worried should i be about a cracking sleeve.
Also yea i have the pacecrappers...lol

BlackGMC - dont worry about it man, its alot of information and discussion.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM
5 year bitches!

hell youll gain just by ditching the pacecrappers and their Y pipe for a 1 7/8 and dual 3" setup
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have a y-pipe, i just have pipes into a dual in dual out magnaflow that sits right under the gap of the bed and cab. Prolly isnt the best setup either. I have some pics on my profile page somewhere
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

plus if you go to another size motor you have them already
Agreed
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hell skeets is running 1 7/8 stepped to 2" primaries for headers.
He got those, amongst other mods, for when he will be spraying very large doses of nitrous. The OP will not be. Just because one person one person does something, and had success, does not mean that the same mod is still a GOOD recommendation for everybody.

Now, if the OP is looking to get better quality stainless headers, then stepping up to the 1 7/8 at the same time is a good move. Especially if he plans on spraying it later. But that wasn't the way I read the first post. I thought he was asking about the gains vs dollar, and if it's worth doing.

Quick Reply: Questions about some mods.