Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

quick question, its about o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question, its about o2 sensors

i got a 98 OBS ECSB and plan on doing the longtubes with exhaust. If i could, id love to not have to install cats and do ORY. Question is, If i get the Rear o2's deleted through tune, can i still pass emissions? My theory was that they simply look for codes and if none are present then its dandy and passed. Do they run a check for o2 sensor heating cycles and proper sensor working? but im also wondering if longtubes plus no cats and a cherrybomb muffler will be to raspy and backfiry. What do you think? i do not want to be too loud. my neighbors already dont like that im loud and all i have is a cherrybomb vortex with stock exhaust. i have my heart set on longtubes, thats for sure. can i get away legally with a tune and rear o2 delete? would my truck be raspy and snap crackle pop with no cats?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

with the rear 02's deleted in the tune ,it will pass no problem. th exhaust will be louder,dunno about raspier
Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 AM
Launching!

okay. i keep telling myself the same thing but im the one who will research this to no end. I do not want to fail an emissions and have to get cats. So for absolute sure I can tune out the rear sensors and not fail?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Yea when they're turned off, the computer reads them as if they were working properly. I have the set up your goin for and mines not raspy with a Super 40. I was gunna do a magnaflow but I was told it would make it raspy.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also depends if your state does a visual inspection. In New Jersey, the emissions are done via OBDII plug in, if all the monitors have run sucessfully and no codes are present, you pass. BUT, they also do a visual inspection where they shove a mirror under the truck and look to make sure the cats and O2 sensors are there...I've even seen guys get down on their knees to take a closer look. They also open the hood and look around, I guess to make sure that all of the emissions items are there. My cats can be empty and rear O2 sensors deleted, but they still have to be there for the visual.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Bud said if it passes the drive cycle monitors without setting a code then you will pass. Each time the check engine light comes on and is reset, all the monitors must run again. Each monitor has certain criteria and driving conditions to run.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Launching!

boy this is why i love this forum. If i remember correctly there were no cameras under my truck, the guy for absolute sure did not get down and look around so i think i am good. and yea chevyman90 im pretty much going with what you got, but keepin my cherrybomb. and i guess since im gettin a full exhaust done, maybe think about what else to get tuned besides the rear o2 delete. but thanks guys. i just finished my summer to do list. that is number one.