Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radiator Repair? Accidently put hole in

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Repair? Accidently put hole in

Was installing stuff on my truck and punctured a small little area on the top of my radiator. I thought I only got some of the fins so it was no big deal but when I started it up a small little stream of coolant was pouring out.

Can this be repaired or do I have to buy a new one?

Also, should coolant be leaking out when I first start the truck? It doesn't leak when it's off so if it comes out when it first starts running due to pressure then my thermostat must be stuck open? Does that make any sense?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No your thermo is closed upon start up to create heat, then it opens. It can prob be fixed, but you could prob find one cheaper then it would cost to repair... That sucks

John
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

New radiators are like 350 and up. I hope it doesn't cost alot to get fixed.

Sounds like I might need a new thermo too. Probably explains why my truck never got above 160
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

How big is the hole? Back in the day Ive used JB Weld to fix holes that were smaller than a dime. Most of the time they held up.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rxsteven
How big is the hole? Back in the day Ive used JB Weld to fix holes that were smaller than a dime. Most of the time they held up.
Bubble gum?

JK, JB weld is some pretty good stuff. I'd call around and get some estimates from some local radiator shops (although that's a little hard over the weekend). If the estimates are pretty steep I'd put some JB weld on it. Be sure you get some new stuff or know it's good, I've had some be more like rubber than metal. I think the hardener was bad or something.

Good luck, that sounds like something that would happen to me.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had one repaired for about 60 bucks. just bring the radiator to the shop and show them the hole and ask them to repair it.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

+2 for JB weld. I've repaired a few radiators with it. One was a CBR that got hit by a rock. It made it 2 years with out a leak then the guy sold it. The other time I jumped my Caprice and came down pretty hard on the front bumper, tweaked the front clip and put the fan shroud into the radiator. The jb weld held till I junked the car. Just mix it up and plaster it into the spot where it's leaking.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Silversolder works great and can be done with a map gas set up. Low temp brazing and is easy to do.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=419269
Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used this trick on a 68 Mustang and it worked for 3 years. Take some wonder bread. The really soft white stuff. Chew on it to get is totally mushy. Press it onto the hole by forcing it. You want to push some into the fin. Then let it dry. Once you start it up, the heat will turn it into cement.

I kid you not, I had two holes and I used this method and it worked for over 3 years. Worth a shot compared to over $300 for a radiator. Don't laugh until you try it!

Quick Reply: Radiator Repair? Accidently put hole in