Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix Blower

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix Blower

I've decided to work my **** off this summer and save up for a Radix blower and some questions have arised.
First, what would be the best price I could get one with tax included out the door?(not polished)
Generally how much for the install?
Would I be in the mid to low 13 sec range?
What would I need to do to my tranny to keep it from blowing up (its my daily driver and I'm always short of money, so if my tranny goes I'm fu#%ed)
I also do some hauling every now and then, will it significanlty help my pulling?
Will it hurt my gas mileage in normal driving?
Thanks
Old 12-22-2003, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

They have an optional drivetrain warranty if it is installed by an ASE tech. Not exactly sure how much more it is or how much to install, I want to say $200 for warranty, but it just seems weird to me that they can warranty the transmission......with the way people talk around here, the 4l60e can't take anything and would blow very shortly after the radix install...but then again I have seen people running very high #s with them.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
I've decided to work my **** off this summer and save up for a Radix blower and some questions have arised.
First, what would be the best price I could get one with tax included out the door?(not polished)
Generally how much for the install?
Would I be in the mid to low 13 sec range?
What would I need to do to my tranny to keep it from blowing up (its my daily driver and I'm always short of money, so if my tranny goes I'm fu#%ed)
I also do some hauling every now and then, will it significanlty help my pulling?
Will it hurt my gas mileage in normal driving?
Thanks

First off you could not have chosen a better quality supercharger kit! Lets start off by answering your questions one at a time!

1)First, what would be the best price I could get one with tax included out the door?(not polished) e-mail us! info@projectrwear.com
2)Generally how much for the install? Between 800.00 and 900.00
3)Would I be in the mid to low 13 sec range? What is your current set up? Rc Sb? Long bed? Extra Cab?
4)What would I need to do to my tranny to keep it from blowing up? Magnacharger tunes the trans for the supercharger, but I would add billet servos and a shift kit.
5)I also do some hauling every now and then, will it significanlty help my pulling? Very much so!
6)Will it hurt my gas mileage in normal driving? Under "normal" driving your gas mileage may improve, but it will not get worse!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have......Where are you located?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

my truck is a 99 5.3L rc/sb
my mods are shorty headers, true duel exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, K&N FIPK, Helix TBS, HPP3, ram air set-up. mid 13 sec range with radix blower??? I'm located in Mesquite, TX, about 10 miles east of Dallas
Old 12-22-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I ordered mine I spent right at 6k on the blower kit, sway bars, and TOG headers. I got list price for the headers and sway bars, you can figure the rest out.

The blower is pretty damn impressive to say the least. It will significantly help out towing. I could keep up with a friends Focus when I was pulling the boat to the lake. *memories .... * Anyways .. ya, a shift kit and billet servos will do.

As for the install, I got quoted as little as 450 in Dallas. I ended up doing it myself in my dad's back yard with great succes. The waranty is an additional $200 which does cover engine and tranny, but like someone else mentioned, the install has to be done by an ASE certified mechanic. Something else that is worth mentioning about the warranty is that you have to have it installed for 1500 miles before the warranty will be valid. This is to prevent someone with a shot motor getting the blower and a new motor out of the deal at Magnuson's expense.

Just to be fair, you may check TByrne for prices as well. I'm a firm believer of shopping around. I will say Brian does offer good support though and seems to be a stand up guy about the blowers he sells.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

We currently have some extremely good pricing for all Magnuson, Vortech, ATI and Paxton superchargers. There wouldn't be any sales tax if you live outside of MA. Just call or e-mail for pricing. Installation costs usually fall into the $700. - $900. range. If you have a little mechanical ability you can save some money and take care of it yourself. A copy of the installation instructions can be found at - http://www.magnacharger.com/pdf/manual01.pdf. You'll need a little more than the kit to get into the low 13s. You might not need to much more depending on your truck's configuration (regular cab, short beds are light ). I have some customers with extended cab trucks running very low 14s with the supercharger and a catback. A shift kit would be a good mod to go along with the supercharger. This will provide you with firmer shifts and help the tranny live behind the extra horsepower. The RADIX kit provides boost from just off idle. It will make a very noticeable different with and without anything in tow. I run a supercharger on my 8.1 Suburban that I use to for towing (10,000lb car hauler). The stock motor pulled ok but it still had to work. Add the supercharger and you start that there is something following the truck around Gas mileage will usually stay the same during normal driving if you can keep your foot out of it.

Just scanned down to your 2nd post. You may be able to get close to the mid 13s with those mods and the blower (traction could be an issue).

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 12-23-2003, 07:35 PM
blownerator

We may not always have the "best" prices on the Radix. I can promise you one thing, after you buy the kit from us you will receive the best technical support and customer service around. Remember, you are not just buying a supercharger kit from us, you are getting a complete package. Technical support and knowledge that is second to none.

If I could I would fly out there and help you do it!

We are running the same set up for the most part in our SHOP truck and seeing VERY LOW 13'S at a horrible track @ 4000 + feet. At a good sea level track I am sure it could muster up a mid 12.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Talking

I HIGHLY recommend blown chevy for any parts needs. I only purchased a small pulley from him and the support and follow up has been second to none!!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like comptetion... I am in the process of buying a house and probably wont be able to afford one in the next couple of months. Any word if these S/C's will come down in price sometime?
Old 12-26-2003, 12:07 AM
blownerator

The price of the Radix is going to stay pretty much where it is. MagnaCharger makes sure of this by protecting the price with regular anonymous phone calls and e-mails to their dealers. If the price gets driven down by a price matching war it totally de-values the product and ruins any future R&D by the manufacture for newer kits for new models released my GM. You have to remember that in that price is the cost of alot of research and development + the cost of tooling. You have to look at what you are getting with the Radix kit, not just a blower with some stand alone computer and some extra crap to "make" it work. You are getting a complete proven package that performs as well as it looks!

Tiburon: I like competition too, it keeps the blood pumping! Don’t always make your choice based on price alone.....Look into the future with the product you are buying and the retailer you are getting it from.

Quick Reply: Radix Blower