Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

RADIX Boost/Idle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RADIX Boost/Idle Questions

The Radix is finally in and running, sorta. My PCM is at Westers getting updates for the S/C will be back tomorrow. Meanwhile I’m running the 93 hot tune but not putting the truck under any boost. At 600 rpm/idle this thing sounds like I have a big fat cam in it. I left the 3.70 pulley that was on it from the 4.8l that it came off of to limit the boost and plan on putting the 3.4” pulley on when the PCM gets here tomorrow. I had to swap the 42# injectors in the Radix back to the stock ones because of my Duel Fuel truck. The injector plugs don’t match up. Anyway….
Question 1: This rough idle and running rich is not hurting anything right?
Question 2: In park, if I push the throttle, the boost gauge stay in vacuum even if I go up to 3000+ rpm. Does the Radix not make boost unless you’re in gear?
Question 3: How much boost difference is there between a 3.7” and 3.4” pulley on a 5.3l?
Chris
Old 05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the stock PCM in, right? Those injectors that come with flex fuel trucks are 33+ pound injectors. Not really sure what options you have as far as converting them to something larger. If you've still got the original PCM and original injectors, it should be fueling properly.

You might take a look at some posts from the new C6 vette. I think its injectors match the plug your truck has.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:50 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Oh yeah, I've got a cammed truck that ran just fine before I put a radix on. The radix really made my idle difficult. Still not sure why, I just tuned it in correctly and wen't on about my business. Doesn't make sense, but oh well. You are the first other person to complain about radix idle that I've seen.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:15 PM

The tune in the truck now is a 93 hot tune from westers. It was set up for my stock injectors but without the Radix. It cruises fine but at a stop light it sounds like a top fuel dragster when the idle drops to 600. Sometimes however, the idle stay high at 1500 rpm when I came to a stop and slowly works its way down. Also, when you push the gas pedal lightly from a stop it takes a half second for the engine to respond then it shoots you off the line, hard. I'm hoping the computer is just having a hard time compensating for the drag the S/C makes while at idle. I'm scared to hit the gas hard cause it's not tuned for the boost yet. PCM is inbound now. Guess I'll have to wait and see if it solves all this.

Still looking for answers to the boost questions.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:20 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Baumgardner2051
Still looking for answers to the boost questions.
The system will not make boost at idle.

I am not sure, but your hands may be tied with the Flex Fuel Injectors. We spent alot of time working those out, and there was more than just the plug that was the problem.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:32 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am not sure, but your hands may be tied with the Flex Fuel Injectors.
How about a custom FMU setup on top of the current 33 pound flex fuel injectors?

OR

Swap harness connections, install the 42 pounders, and have Westers send a non-flex fuel PCM for the next tune.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:34 PM

The system will not make boost at idle.

I am not sure, but your hands may be tied with the Flex Fuel Injectors. We spent alot of time working those out, and there was more than just the plug that was the problem.
BlownChevy,
Do you think that the problem is because the radix adds some drag to the air coming in at idle? The tune that is in it now is set up for the stock intake so maybe the Radix is confusing it? I don't know. The guys at Westers acted like they knew how to get it right, 24 hours and I'll know.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BigTex
How about a custom FMU setup on top of the current 33 pound flex fuel injectors?

OR

Swap harness connections, install the 42 pounders, and have Westers send a non-flex fuel PCM for the next tune.
Swapping connections was my plan originally but no one could find the clips from a non-flex fuel truck except the dealer for $600 So we put the stockers back in, I sold the 42 # ones to offset costs. ($200) and the aux fuel pump ($80). Of course after all that I found out that Allen? at Nelson tuning could get me the clips to make the 42 #ers work but too late. Later I may upgrade the injectors, add a pump and go for more boost but for now I have to chill out b4 my wife kills me. I'm just hoping the tune smooths the idle out and then once I get on it I can see if it made a big difference or not.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:57 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

once the tune is in, it should clear up.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once the tune is in, it should clear up.
ive heard THAT before...

Quick Reply: RADIX Boost/Idle Questions