Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

RADIX Boost/Idle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt.....
Still need to know what the boost difference is between the 3.70" pulley and the 3.4" pulley on the 5.3l engine. What's 3/10's of an inch worth? (in boost, funny guy) Is it worth swapping the pulleys? Since the tune is set up for the 3.4" will it throw the PCM off?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will see about 4 psi with the bigger pulley. About 6.5-7 with the 3.4.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:31 PM

Sounds like it's worth swapping out.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by Baumgardner2051
Sounds like it's worth swapping out.

Very much so
Old 05-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Just out of curiosity, How come the boost gauge doesn't move when I rev it up in park? The radix is still turning right?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:36 PM
blownerator

Just out of curiosity, How come the boost gauge doesn't move when I rev it up in park? The radix is still turning right?

There is no load on the engine. It will not make boost in park.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:15 PM

Got the tune in, took awhile for it to smooth the idle out, but it did. I drove around for a few minuted to feel it out, turning the a/c on and off, putting it in park and so on. After a few minutes I decided it was time to try it out. Found an empty stretch of road and eased into it. Pulled real nice. Then I turned around and stomped it from a dead stop. The 24's made a quick chirp and I was off (Interesting because I did not have the traction control off). The 3.70" pulley maxed out at 6 psi at WOT. I wil be swapping it to the 3.4" shortly. After this question:
Will I need a pulley puller to get the pulley off the snout of the Radix or will it slide off with enough elbow grease, AND do I need to add loctite when I put the new pulley on?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:21 PM
blownerator

Got the tune in, took awhile for it to smooth the idle out, but it did. I drove around for a few minuted to feel it out, turning the a/c on and off, putting it in park and so on. After a few minutes I decided it was time to try it out. Found an empty stretch of road and eased into it. Pulled real nice. Then I turned around and stomped it from a dead stop. The 24's made a quick chirp and I was off (Interesting because I did not have the traction control off). The 3.70" pulley maxed out at 6 psi at WOT. I wil be swapping it to the 3.4" shortly. After this question:
Will I need a pulley puller to get the pulley off the snout of the Radix or will it slide off with enough elbow grease, AND do I need to add loctite when I put the new pulley on?

The pulley may just come off....It depends, try to pull it off first and go from there....Just DO NOT USE ANY AIR TOOLS ON THE PULLEY NUT. Glad you got everything worked out, try it with the T/C off....It will not go into PE if it thinks the wheels are spinning
Old 05-14-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The pulley may just come off....It depends, try to pull it off first and go from there....Just DO NOT USE ANY AIR TOOLS ON THE PULLEY NUT. Glad you got everything worked out, try it with the T/C off....It will not go into PE if it thinks the wheels are spinning
I didn't get a chance to update since this morning when I THOUGHT my problems were solved. I called Westers (Brian) when it was running rough after the new PCM went in. He suggested a re-learn procedure by idling for 5 minutes then put it in drive for 5 minutes (E brake applied) and then shut off wait 30 seconds and re-start. Did this, seemed to work. Later at another start same roughness. Let it run while I washed it, 15 minyutes into the wash the truck shut off!! Called Brian, he called Lyndon, double checked tune. Set up for 42# injectors! I have the stockers because of the flex fuel bull ****. I told them that 10 times. Anyway the Tahoe runs like crap at a stop sign but screams after I hit the gas. "NEW" tune comes in Tuesday or Wed. We'll see if this fixes the issue.
P.s. what is PE? (It will not go into PE if it thinks the wheels are spinning )
Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
blownerator

the tracking control pulls timing and will not let the truck go into PE (power enrichment) there was 45 HP difference with the traction controll off (on the dyno)

Quick Reply: RADIX Boost/Idle Questions