Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix & Burnt Intake Valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix & Burnt Intake Valves

My wife took my Avalanche out when it was covered in snow & ice and subsequently chose ignore the Temp Guage. She was also oblivious to the Bucking & misfiring from the engine and the series of warning lights! She Just gave it more gas and to the trucks credit it got her where she needed to go. (Oh well, stuff happens)
Anyway, there are a number of burnt intake valves & plugs so now I am looking at having to replace the valves etc.
I am looking for advise as to what set up would be best given that the heads are comming off. Should I Port & Pollish the existing heads and use a different set of rockers (perhaps 1.85's) or what?

Ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amtg4u
My wife took my Avalanche out when it was covered in snow & ice and subsequently chose ignore the Temp Guage. She was also oblivious to the Bucking & misfiring from the engine and the series of warning lights! She Just gave it more gas and to the trucks credit it got her where she needed to go. (Oh well, stuff happens)
Anyway, there are a number of burnt intake valves & plugs so now I am looking at having to replace the valves etc.
I am looking for advise as to what set up would be best given that the heads are comming off. Should I Port & Pollish the existing heads and use a different set of rockers (perhaps 1.85's) or what?

Ideas would be appreciated.
I would buy a set of ported heads,they are availabe at a reasonable price.I would also change cams while I had the heads off,the cost of the cam will be about the same as the rockers,since you'll already have upgraded spings and retainers with the new heads.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im with Witt on this one. I think Summit Racing had Patriot heads for 1,000. Might not flow like a $2000 AFR head, but there would be a hudge improvment over stock heads. And a mild low duration 212/218 high lift on a 114 lobe would complement the heads and blower nicely
Old 01-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Im with Witt on this one. I think Summit Racing had Patriot heads for 1,000. Might not flow like a $2000 AFR head, but there would be a hudge improvment over stock heads. And a mild low duration 212/218 high lift on a 114 lobe would complement the heads and blower nicely
Any idea as to what cfm I should expect from those heads? I think I also read somewhere that the Stock heads for our Trucks have smaller intake valves.
I will check out Summit Racings web site and start a shopping list. Being that I am in Canada, whenever we order through the US we get hit with Duty as well as the Can$ conversion.

This truck is still a daily driver for the winter.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:17 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

i would also suggest the Pand P of the heads and i went with a 2.0 intake valve although i hear the max that you can go and still have clearance is the 2.02 i would also suggest the cam i personally have the 212/218 cam and it is and with the blower you prolly wouldnt want one that is too big especially in an avalanche because it will be quick but prolly never really fast being it is so big hope this helps if you need a recommendation on headwork lemme know i know a great guy
Old 01-01-2005, 11:34 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like a dyno tune should be done too. I have never seen a burnt valve on a vehicle that is tuned properly.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea .. a hands on tune, and maybe some 6.0 heads if your on a budget.

I would not even think about putting Patriot heads on my engine. They are cheap for a reason. If you search hard enough you might can find the threads from dropped valve seats and stuff like that.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Sounds to me like a dyno tune should be done too. I have never seen a burnt valve on a vehicle that is tuned properly.
The Grill was completly covered over with Snow & Ice from blowing out the driveway and as a result the Electric Fans could not pull air through the Intercooler as well as the rad so the truck eventually overheated. She drove it knowing there was a problem for another 45min. and at one point she was not sure she would make it to the Shopping Mall. There was nothing wrong with the Truck.... the driver was the issue!

Now it is going to cost me/her!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by amtg4u
She drove it knowing there was a problem for another 45min. and at one point she was not sure she would make it to the Shopping Mall.
At least she has her priorities lined up.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well she owes you one

Quick Reply: Radix & Burnt Intake Valves