Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for all the info Brandon, very helpful

but it looks like they screwed up my order bigtime and I wont even get the kit until next week, and the only time I have to install it is next saturday before the truck meet = pretty pissed right now. Unless everything goes perfectly and I can get it running perfectly in 1.5 days, I wont be able to have it installed by the meet/track meet on the 11th.

at least that leaves more time for install tips
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Bummer on the order mix up

My install likely took longer than average since it was winter here in MI when I did mine & I had to work on the truck in a cramped garage with space heaters running the whole time (that didn't work that well BTW)... if I were able to work on the truck in the driveway with more elbow room & natural lighting I could have done it a bit quicker. A second install would be *much* quicker for me knowing what I do know... probably a 6-8 hour job with a helper (no gauges, just the RADIX). I wasted a ton of time with the wiring (remember that my manual didn't mention the wiring extentions, that took me almost a day to cut tape/looms & re-route the factory wires) and I also wasted a bunch of time swearing at AutoMeter before giving up/putting the gauge install off for 6+ months.

I'd still say that a 1.5 day deadline would be cutting it close for a first install, but not impossible if you have some experienced gearheads assisting. The RADIX kit is pretty complete; total number of trips to the auto store for forgotten parts durring install for me = 0. If you have access to another vehicle for a few days prior to the shipment arriving you could do the dis-assembly beforehand, that should shave nearly half of the time off the actual install. It might just be best to plan a weekend of downtime later in July than rush the install & potentially make mistakes though.

-brandon
Old 06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say it would be easy to get it in with that kind of time. It should take an unexperienced person 10-12 hours. The hardest part is getting under the truck and messing with the fuel and installing the intercooler.

You need to have help with at least setting the blower down on top of the motor. If you have help, ya'll should be able to divy up the work and not be getting in each other's way to much.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

I've read through the instructions word-for-word at least 3 times, and I'm fairly confident I can get it installed in 8 hours or so. I've bought nearly everything I need to install it (had to go to 5 stores to find that torx socket) and with a helper it shouldnt take me too long.....but I always plan on problems.

If it comes down to it I'll have the blower installed by th 11th but might not run at the track until I'm 100% sure its running like it should.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

well....got the Radix installed today. took me and a buddy about 10 hours..thats with a couple food trips, auto parts store runs and beer run. instructions were very straight forward and we had no problems with anything. Great Kit! took it for a little test run and slowly worked it up to WOT...HOLY HELL! I love it! i could not be more pleased!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

awesome - glad to hear it all went smoothly

BTW - NOWHERE around here has a inch lbs torque wrench - is there a site that has a chart converting to ft lbs?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got one of those at AutoZone ...
I also used some vice-grips for the TB studs (what you need the inverted torx bit for).

The most useful thing I think you need out of the tools section os a straight nose snap ring pliers. Get a decent set, not the cheapest ones you can find.
On a side note ... be sure to pay extra attention to the fuel pressure regulator assembly. That small *** o-ring is very critical. If it's not in there right, it will not hold any fuel pressure.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, I finally found a E5 torx socket in a set at Oreilys - I figured I could use vice grips or something but went ahead and got the socket. I wasn't sure which type of snap ring plier to get so I got one that has "4 separate jaw configurations; 90deg, straight, small and large 45deg" "for use with both internal and external snap rings"

Autozone pissed me off about the inch lbs wrench. One store I went to had a ft lbs wrench and 2 empy spots where he said inch lbs wrenches usually were, that they were out of stock, he called the other autozone across town and he said they have them....go over there and what do you know....only ft lbs wrenches.