Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix owners inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radix owners inside.....

I am working on a step or two beyond that. Ripping off a page from the Lightning's book of mods (why not, the superchargers are very much the same, both made by Eaton)

f150online

In the pictures on this thread, the black heat exchangers are the stock Lightning. The come mounted in the lower grill opening as you are proposing. The silver(bare aluminium) are the JDM upgrade heat exchangers. The stock Lightning heat exchanger is twice the size of the Magnacharger heat exchanger. The JDM is 3 times the size of the stock Lightning heat exchanger. I have a JDM on it's way to me, along with some e-fans to mount behind . This should give me a lower overall temp of intercooler coolant as well as much better resistance to heating up from repeated stop-light to stop-light throttle stomping I will have to come up with a way to mount it as well as some scheme for fan operation. I could just leave them on all the time when the key is on, but I am going to try and add some smarts to it, since the fans are rather redundant at highway speeds.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm .. The more I hear about this .. the more I want to do it. I have pretty much already givin up off roading with the blower, as I'm scared it will really dig a hole before getting going as it is now, and it may suck some mud up in the airbox through the hole in the bottom of the volant box. Let's see some pics blonchevy .. please!

Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, David what size is the JDM heat exchanger dimensionally ? and what is the cost? PM me.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Check out october issue of truckin, i just got mine. There is a nice article on a dual fan and aftermarket intercooler install on a lightning. This would be awsome on a RADIX setup.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:47 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will have pics soon. I am working some kinks out of the trans...............
Old 07-24-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

I am working on a step or two beyond that. Ripping off a page from the Lightning's book of mods (why not, the superchargers are very much the same, both made by Eaton)

f150online

In the pictures on this thread, the black heat exchangers are the stock Lightning. The come mounted in the lower grill opening as you are proposing. The silver(bare aluminium) are the JDM upgrade heat exchangers. The stock Lightning heat exchanger is twice the size of the Magnacharger heat exchanger. The JDM is 3 times the size of the stock Lightning heat exchanger. I have a JDM on it's way to me, along with some e-fans to mount behind .
David you've got to get LS1 Edit add some timing and fuel, it will really wake that baby up... AND Do the heat exchanger later... Let me know how the install goes though.
I'm interested...

My truck is down for a while with an electrical issue. Keeps throwing the camshaft sensor code...P0343 (i think thats it)

Keep us posted, glad your having FUN..

Old 07-24-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Just a little insight on what I have done.

If you have not noticed....the heat exchanger is blocked about 2/3's by the grill and chevy emblem. I have figured out a way to move the heat exchanger into the lower valance and make it look MEAN. I will post pics next week, I forgot my camera at the shop. I am going out to magna next week with the truck so they can take a look at it. I think this could be an upgrade for the Chevy truck owners....We will see what they say.

I have seen a 15-18 degree change in intake temp, and that is just around town driving. Lower intake temps = more Hp.

I will keep you all posted on the progress.

What kind of IAT (Intake Air Temps) are you seeing??? Mine are 123-135...
Old 07-24-2003, 12:47 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will have all of that data by next week. I am going to vegas, and I will chart the temps on the way.....I have a basline from my last trip.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Be sure to take note of the outside temp too.

Ripped, I get intake temps about that in 80'ish degree weather. I haven't ATaped it since it's been scalding hot (90*+).
Old 07-24-2003, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

We had some 90 degree temps up- here and my intake temps were 135-144 and passed 150 on full throttle runs.

Quick Reply: Radix owners inside.....