Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix owners inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radix owners inside.....

David you've got to get LS1 Edit add some timing and fuel, it will really wake that baby up... AND Do the heat exchanger later... Let me know how the install goes though.
I'm interested...

My truck is down for a while with an electrical issue. Keeps throwing the camshaft sensor code...P0343 (i think thats it)

Keep us posted, glad your having FUN..

[/quote]

I am still holding out for LS1Edit to come out with their "onboard" cable. But my resistance is fading. I may go ahead and buy it and the "bench" cable.

I have used EFILive to check my IAT (which is post intercooler) and I noticed a few things:
The IAT seems to run about 30 degrees above ambient when everything is warmed up and has reached equilibrium. So in 90 weather, the IAT is 120
A few back to back full throttle 0-60 type runs gets me up to 168 degrees IAT !!!!
It takes a long time to get back down to 120 degree IAT mark, even when taking it easy and staying out of boost.

These observations have convinced me that the stock heat exchanger is inadequate. I just got my JDM in the mail yesterday, so I am ready to have some fun figuring out how to mount it It shouldn't be too hard.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Now I just have to figure out how to mount the thing. I am glad it has those big tabs on top and some holes on the bottom panel. In the other pic, you can see the plastic "buttons" that must mount to something on a Lightning. After I figure out how to mount it, I need to make some ducting to keep the air coming in the lower grill from going around the heat exchanger.

Dual electric fans Just need to figure out how to activate them. It is easy enough to have them on all the time, but I would like to shut them down at highway speeds.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

How about tapping into your TCC lock circuit?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:08 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

David.............HOW MUCH? WHERE?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

they are $465 from JDM performance they are a F*#d parts place. Johnny lightning also makes one $425 . I scheming right now to figure out a cheaper alternative (because, I guess I'm a cheap ***.) Honda makes a small vertical Radiator for their civics,(which might fit easier)just weld in AN fittings over the inlet outlet tubes. and I'm wondering what the BTU transfer is for these.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you thought to look at an oil cooler or tranny cooler. I think that's what mine is called by the manufacturer. It had oil cooler on the box I think.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that the Radix comes with a Setrab oil cooler.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

the intercooler on mine, is a Setrab and it says oil cooler on the sticker.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

usually oil cooler are of limited size, as they are designed to operate @ higher temps. 220-255 degrees. radiators have more surface area to maintain sub 200 degree temps.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Heater cores are what you would want to use, if you want to try this on the cheap. I spied a few that I could hook in series (about 3 of them) at about $40 each. If I recall correctly, they were 6x9 and had "normal" inlet and outlet tubes on them (some heaters have real strange tubes on them). I have the link on my PC at work, I will post it here. The site had pictures of the various cores as well as dimensions. Real handy, since most places just let you browse by make, model, year.

Quick Reply: Radix owners inside.....