Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix owners inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radix owners inside.....

David your to Let me know what kind of a drop in IAT you see. Hope the install goes well...

[/quote]
Old 07-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Well, first problem didn't take long to materialize. The size of the heat exhcanger that JDM quoted over the phone must have been the funtional part, not the overall dimensions.
The outside dimensions are 25 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 3 1/2 The problem dimension is the width. The exchanger just barely fits between the frame rails, but the mounting "ears" keep it from getting up there. I thought about mounting it upside down, but in the end, thought I could chop the ears down. So abot 8 cut-off wheels and an overheating dremel later...

At least it is made of good aluminum Now it now fits between the frame rails and looks like there is some solid metal to mount it to. Off tot he hardware store to figure out how to attach things.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I'm thinking VW Scircco radiator with dual Flex-a-lite fans for under $300 plus a toggle switch.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Whitt, Thats what I was thinking, If you look @ my Sig. I happen to have a few of these laying around, another option is some of the radiators that Summit carries a 22"X13"$199.00 or a drag race 17"X18.5" I made a couple of cardboard templates to see how they'll fit up front. the nice thimg about the radiators is it is possible to run a single larger fan with a higher CFM than the two 8" fans combined.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Check out this link for heater cores that might be of interest. 2-272 and 2-275 are a couple of good candidates. They are about 6x9 and two or three could be mounted in series. The nice thing about this site is you can browse by picture, instead of model, make and year

http://www.leakycar.com
Old 07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flem,let me know how the VW radiator works?Have you tried the 3.25 pulley yet?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

not yet on the 3.25" pulley. I was going to do the intercooler first. I didn't work on it last night, I plan on having it done this weekend and I'll post pics. with the 90 temps we had over the last few weeks my around town IAT's were 140+_ around town and 150+ as soon as I matted it, It would take a couple of miles of highway driving to bring the temps to 122-128 degrees. I'm averaging 35-40 degrees above ambient most of the time.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Ok, here are the final pics of the install:

I gotta admit, I like seeing the heat exchanger luking behind the lower grill Now I need to make some ducting to keep air from flowing around, rather than through the heat exchanger

Here you can see the fans and the bracket that stabilizes things

Not much room between the brush guard and the fans. It was a real pain getting those bolt back in after the heat exchanger was mounted .

Here is a close up how the fans are attached to the heat exchanger.

Not much clearance between the clip and the front of the heat exchanger.

Hard to see, but there is not much clearance between the frame and the heat exchanger.

I had to carve off part of the brush guard to allow clearance for the fans.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good man. Your IAT sensor is in the MAF housing which is Before the blower. How would you know if this cooled things off After the blower?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:34 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did you get that heat exchanger?

Quick Reply: Radix owners inside.....