Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix pulley & Nelson tune install... worried.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vortec327
Use a fabric strap wrench or a rubber strap wrench. Also try loosing the nut with the belt still on the pulley first, may not work but its worth a shot.

The new pulley should line up just right.

Mine worked with just leaving the belt on and snug... or if it's slightly slipping use a breaker bar to pull the tensioner slightly tighter and it acts as a strap wrench but without the cost or the trip to the store

I did have to take a few firm taps around the backside of the stock pulley to get it to unseat. I used a rubber mallet- GENTLY.

The nelson pulley is very easy to install with the nut forward. Goes on very easy.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default An Old Belt...

...cut off so a pair of vice grips can clamp it together and simulate a strap wrench.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimS
I have some concerns about installing the pulley and tune I received from Nelson.

The instructions for the tune talk about several scenarios that could occur and which would require a relearn or use of a puter scanner. Seems to me I'd better wait to install the tune until I can be at the auto service center that has a computer code reader. Correct? Or is it unusual to get a computer code that requires help.

Help will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
I've changed out the PCM several times and have only had to do the relearn process a couple times, No big deal, takes about 20 minutes. If anything goes wrong you can always put the stock one back in. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-21-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys gave the information and confidence to get the job done!

I did the pulley and pcm today and what a difference.

The Radix was a huge improvement and this Nelso tune really woke it up! I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for your help. Had you not been here to encourage and support I'd have waited until I could get to the shop and have a mechanic with the puter ready to bail me out. It feels good to have been capable of doing the work myself.

Later Jim
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Good to hear you got it going. You already got the pulley on but I was going to add to the comments above that if you use a strip of old belt or something to wrap around the pulley & get in the ribs, THEN put a big rubber strap wrench around that, it works well for holding the pulley in place - just FYI to any one else who hasn't taken the stock pulley off.