Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Radix Uber Alles

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
I'm a bit disappointed the failure wasn't more spectacular considering that the whole engine is ruined I'd like to see total carnage LOL
lol I know exactly how you feel, when the motor in my last vehicle blew, it sounded almost like I hit a squirrel. THUD, clunk clunk clunk....there goes $4k Put on quite a smoke show though, with every ounce of oil from the pan spewing out and burning on the exhaust/engine.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

I know how you guys feel. Back in 99 I spent about 12K on a new blower motor and 14psi ATI kit with three core intercooler. Blower came apart and killed it all in about a second. After cutting the 12 rib belt it started but was fataly wounded. It had ingested hundred of little billet chucks from the inpleler. Crushed bearings and hurt pistons and heads were the norm

I drove it home knocking like a little B!&$^!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just my .02. Rods incur the most load when it is pulling the piston back down of course, due to tensil strength of the rod being less than compression strength. On decel, the throttle plate goes shut causing extreme vacume within the cyl when the piston is traveling back down on intake stroke. This vacume pulling on the piston causes more stress on the rod and rod bolts.

The 4.8 & 5.3's should be able to withstand more load due to having lighter weight pistons(smaller bore) that put less load on the rods when the piston is transitioning from tdc and accelerating down. Now the 4.8 on the other hand has an even bigger advantage due to its rod ratio. The shorter stroke combined with the longer rod allow the Dwell time at or, should I say, near TDC to be a lot longer. This makes the acceleration and deceleration rate of the piston slower. This also allows for a more complete burn of fuel and supresses detonation due to the slower approach to TDC. So to help this stress on any motor and especially the 6.0, since it is in the comparrison, is to use the lightest piston/wristpin combo possible to limit stress on the rod. These LSX motors have stout rods. You could most likely get away with the stock rod in a lot of cases with a lighter piston and save some money.
Anyway, sorry for the loss Charris. But it is just a good excuse to have what your really wanted!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Just my .02. Rods incur the most load when it is pulling the piston back down of course, due to tensil strength of the rod being less than compression strength. On decel, the throttle plate goes shut causing extreme vacume within the cyl when the piston is traveling back down on intake stroke. This vacume pulling on the piston causes more stress on the rod and rod bolts.

The 4.8 & 5.3's should be able to withstand more load due to having lighter weight pistons(smaller bore) that put less load on the rods when the piston is transitioning from tdc and accelerating down. Now the 4.8 on the other hand has an even bigger advantage due to its rod ratio. The shorter stroke combined with the longer rod allow the Dwell time at or, should I say, near TDC to be a lot longer. This makes the acceleration and deceleration rate of the piston slower. This also allows for a more complete burn of fuel and supresses detonation due to the slower approach to TDC. So to help this stress on any motor and especially the 6.0, since it is in the comparrison, is to use the lightest piston/wristpin combo possible to limit stress on the rod. These LSX motors have stout rods. You could most likely get away with the stock rod in a lot of cases with a lighter piston and save some money.
Anyway, sorry for the loss Charris. But it is just a good excuse to have what your really wanted!
Thanks for sharing some more Tech info, MJ. This is the kind of info that makes posting/reading in these forums worthwhile.

I'm pretty excited about the new combo coming together. It gets more interesting everyday. Details to be disclosed soon
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mjhoward

Nice Write up! Cory's New combo get more interesting by the minute