Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ram Air for 03-05 Silverados...Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may want one as well, looks very nice.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:24 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I was just thinking, after you get before and after dyno runs in its current form, what if you added a large plenum in the inlet air track?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Grippy, I'm not sure if I'll even dyno the truck, but I do have some interesting track results. I don't have the specifics at my fingertips at the moment (I'm at my parents for the weekend) but I will tell you this:

The weather at the track on Friday was strangely similar to the weather in Nov. on the last day I ran. The only changes to the truck were the ram air/fresh air system and a Araid MIT. I used the stock heavy duty paper air filter (delco a1518c, I think) during all of the runs.

Nov. best was 15.164@89.52 after letting it cool for an hour, it ran 15.299@88.75 when the motor was hot.

May 6th best was 15.062@89.89 after letting it cool for an hour and 20 minutes.

It ran 15.184@89.32 when hot approx. 30 minutes after the 15.062 run without opening the hood and giving it the chance to let it cool.

Then for ***** and giggles, I closed up the factory air box holes thus, making it a true ram air setup, The motor was still hot, ran it approx. 30 minutes after the 15.184 run. It ran 15.102@89.84. So it seemed that if I let it cool with the true ram air setup I could of ran a better # than the 15.062.

So, it appears that the ram air setup with the factory air box holes open is worth .1 seconds with the stock paper filter and maybe more in true ram air mode. Also, when the motor was hot I just about ran the same number as my previous best when the motor was cool. In combination with a K&N it may deliver more hp.

Note-I'm pulling these numbers from memory, so I may be a slightly off +/- a few thousands on the time and a few hundreds on the mph. I will post a chart of the actual numbers on monday night. But I believe they are pretty accurate.

Also, I drove home with in true ram air mode and I think that it's not good for daily driving due to the lack of raming effect at slow speeds. It may be possible to create a flapper that allows air into the box from the factory air box holes at slow speeds and seal up the box once there is a raming effect. And I dont believe that the MIT contributed all that much to the increase of performance either.

jeff
Old 05-08-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice work, i might even be interested in just the scoop, and se if i can adapt it to my Sierra, i have a local guy that does vacuum forming, and injection molding, that could hook me up he said fro small runs, as long as i made the molds he said. Too bad you aren't in MI, we could get these things made cheap.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I Like Gold!!!

id be interested in one if you make one for the 99-02 style. Would it work better if you made one that connects from both holes of the bottom bumper? So it would 2 going into 1 straight up to the intake. Another ? is that this kit wouldn't work as good on an fipk as it would like on a volant or upd(since those have closed air boxes.)
Old 08-20-2005, 01:07 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by unklej
Hey guys,

Over the past few months I have been working on designing and manufacturing the equipment to make a ram air scoop for my 04 silverado that would integrate cleanly with the factory air box. Below are pictures of what I designed.

Basically, I formed a custom ABS plastic scoop in two parts and bonded them together such that it would fit perfectly into the tow hook hole.(picture of one of my forming attempts attached below) The scoop is held in place with a single bolt going through the factory tow hook mounting hole in the frame. Then I welded a 4" pipe into a hole I machined out of the factory air box mounting plate. This was done so I can get a tight seal with the factory air box. I connected the plate to the scoop with an industrial rubber hose (.030 thick) that has a pretty smooth interior.

I just mounted the system on my truck today, so there aren't any real results. I'm planning on hitting the track this Friday to see the results. I can say that there isn't any increase in induction noise. (which I'm very happy about)

I'm planning on offering this kit to the public within a month (I need some time to test it and make sure the scoop is robust enough). The pricing isn't set yet, but the most the kit would be is $150 for the complete kit (chances are that the kit will be priced cheaper than $150). If people are just interested in the scoop, I would offer that alone also. Let me know if there is any interest in this product.

***edit: the complete kit would include the scoop, clamps, hose, airbox mounting plate, and a template to cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox)***

Also, this system could be utilized buy the people running open element air filters by allowing the hole in the air box mounting plate to blow fresh air on the filter.

Jeff
Need a supercharged tester yet? before after dynos? or track results?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

volant makes something like that, so does vararam
Old 08-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I Like Gold!!!

ya but vara ram sucks
Old 08-20-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Grippy, not a bad idea, but I have some unfortunate news... I took a look at the tow hook opening on a 2500 vs. a 1500 truck and the positioning of the frame is totally different. So, I'm unsure if my scoop would fit right.

I'm getting ready to make a small batch of scoops (~5) next week so I can take them to the east coast dyno day at DES racing and truck GTG. Going to see if anyone is interested.

Volant does make something similar, but I think it was originally designed for the 99-02 trucks (I haven't seen one in person). I designed mine for the 03 and up 1500 trucks. just for information I'm selling the scoop + a section of 4" steel pipe for $70 (you would have to buy the 4" hose, cut the hole in the airbox and mounting plate & get the pipe welded into the plate to make the system work) or $150 for the complete kit scoop, mounting plate with pipe welded in, and three feet of 4" hose.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by unklej
Grippy, not a bad idea, but I have some unfortunate news... I took a look at the tow hook opening on a 2500 vs. a 1500 truck and the positioning of the frame is totally different. So, I'm unsure if my scoop would fit right.

I'm getting ready to make a small batch of scoops (~5) next week so I can take them to the east coast dyno day at DES racing and truck GTG. Going to see if anyone is interested.

Volant does make something similar, but I think it was originally designed for the 99-02 trucks (I haven't seen one in person). I designed mine for the 03 and up 1500 trucks. just for information I'm selling the scoop + a section of 4" steel pipe for $70 (you would have to buy the 4" hose, cut the hole in the airbox and mounting plate & get the pipe welded into the plate to make the system work) or $150 for the complete kit scoop, mounting plate with pipe welded in, and three feet of 4" hose.

Jeff
Tow hooks, what tow hooks? Send me a scoop for R&D, and I'll test it for ya free of charge

Quick Reply: Ram Air for 03-05 Silverados...Pics