Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ram Air for 03-05 Silverados...Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:44 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff- I as well as many others here truely appreciate your dedication to providing a quality and affordable CAI alternative for us Truck fanatics. It looks to be a very nice kit and I will bet $$$ that it's worth more HP/ET improvemnet than your track test showed. The Humidity and BP in Nov should much better than the best conditions in May, so there's likely more on the table than we realize. A dyno would not be a very accurate tool either. If you could scan and log the MAF Hz at a given mph with the kit installed and also in stock form, that would show a real world improvement of air flow. Keep up the good work!

James
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

James, thanks for your comments. I enjoy coming up with new ideas and manufacturing new product in my spare time (I have full access to CNC machine shop). I'll run some logs to see what the reads are.

Jeff

Last edited by unklej; 12-11-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i made a kit like this on my truck. the only thing i dint have is a box to fit around the tow hook hole.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Guys,

Just want to let you know that I have an extra scoop to sell. I made it as a special request for another forum member, but the deal fell through. So I'm looking for $50+shipping for just the scoop and a 4" hose clamp. So far it is the nicest scoop I have made out of the test samples and the one I built for my truck. Let me know if anyone is interested. It will fit 03-06 1500 silverados.

Here is the post I put in the classifieds section https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=353778

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would expect next to no gains out of that. It wont work with the ever popular K&N cai that everone runs, you will need either a volant or stock airbox to get it all sealed. IT wont do anyting on the dyno unless you blow a leaf blower in it. I would opt to keep my tow hooks/fog lights.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

Everyone is allowed their own opinion. All I can say that is worked for me and it doesn't effect the fog light hole.

Also, I can work with an open element filter setup and a few guys here are running it that way, just not with my scoop. All you need to do is have the hose from the scoop go to a 4" pipe that is mounted just below the filter. It wouldn't be a true "ram air" but it would supply an area of colder fresh air for the open element filter to use, alla taking out your head light when you go to the track,...just better.

hell, if no-one wants it I just may donate it to Parish or Grippy...

jeff
Old 12-09-2005, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey man i like your idea . as some on here would rather just run a hose then buy your kit then ok . it just shows why there trucks arent as show worthy as people like grippy and blownchevy to name a few that woulkd go the extra mile to have something that is porfessional looking and gives good gains . i would be intrested in buyin one of your kits but i have my money set for other things as of now . but ill be sending you a PM when im ready
Old 12-09-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Sale pending... thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duwem
I would expect next to no gains out of that. It wont work with the ever popular K&N cai that everone runs, you will need either a volant or stock airbox to get it all sealed. IT wont do anyting on the dyno unless you blow a leaf blower in it. I would opt to keep my tow hooks/fog lights.
I'd bet you'd change your mind after actually hooking something like this up. I've seen 2-3 tenths and 3-4 MPH with previous versions of cool air scoops in different cars/trucks I've owned and expect nothing less than ,1 and 1-2MPH with one for my SS when mine gets installed.

BTW, sealing up a CAI like this makes very little difference because it's the cooler air that's making the ET/MPH advantage, not the miniscule ram effect. Back to back testing in hot crappy weather would show a lot larger difference than shown in the cool weather he tested his in too.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Sold...to "hrodgmc"

I may make some complete kits in the spring time. I'm really in no rush. Between work, grad school, restoring my mustang, hanging with the wife, looking for a house, and trying to drink some beer every now and then... there really isn't a whole lot of time to play in the garage with this stuff.

Hopefully I'll come up with some new products that I can vacuum form on my manufacturing setup when I get some time.

Thanks again for the compliments, it's fun just to build new things.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Ram Air for 03-05 Silverados...Pics