Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ram Air Mod for Volant Guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air Mod for Volant Guys

Well, I hate the way the volant air box is sealed with only two holes, so I started a little experiment today. I removed the right side headlight, and there is nothing restricting air flow to the front of the airbox. I decided that I could cut a rectangular piece from the front of the airbox and allow air to flow directly into the airbox. I run at the track without my headlight, so this works great. You can see the pics below. I just used a jigsaw to make the cuts and then I sanded the edges.
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air Mod for Volant Guys-pict0037.jpg   Ram Air Mod for Volant Guys-pict0038.jpg  
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor

Pretty good idea, probably works goods even with the light in there.
Ricky
Old 01-20-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

The whole point of a ram air is to smooth out the flow of air comming in.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GREGGO
The whole point of a ram air is to smooth out the flow of air comming in.
hmmm, I believe the whole point of ram air is to use the dynamic air pressure to increase the mass flow of air through the system. The air flow going into the filter will always be turbulent, that is why the mass air flow sensor has the honeycomb screen. The honeycombs change the flow from turbulent to laminar (smooth). This is same thing used in air tunnels to produce a laminar flow field. So no matter how turbulent the air is, the mass air flow sensor will smooth it out.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, you are correct and I agree with what you say also. Maybe I should not have said "The whole point" . The filter does act as a type of diffuser to also help smooth out flow. But wouldn't cutting a hole in a CAI box defete the pupose? I mean, would a FIPK work under the principle that if the truck is moveing at xMPH the hot air would be pushed away from the engine compartment resulting in cold aire being pushe to the filter? It's hard for me to explain what I'm talking about, so I won't even try. My brain may start hurting. I just take the filter out at the track anyway, and my MAF hasn't had a screen in over 4 years. So in my case, it doesn't matter. After I wrote that, I thought hmmm....might not have been the best choice of words.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

The import guys have been pulling out their headlights for free ram-air for years.

I have the volant with the optional scoop, so that should be doing the cold air gathering. I wish Volant made a second scoop, so the factory air dam does not have a open hole on the drivers side. I may fab one up....
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

rhayes:
Have you tried running the intake without the scoop and with? I am curious as to the power difference.
I have shyed away from the scoop because of clearance issues with the 4x4. I actually use my truck and dont really think a scoop of sand would be very good.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Yes, you are correct and I agree with what you say also. Maybe I should not have said "The whole point" . The filter does act as a type of diffuser to also help smooth out flow. But wouldn't cutting a hole in a CAI box defete the pupose? I mean, would a FIPK work under the principle that if the truck is moveing at xMPH the hot air would be pushed away from the engine compartment resulting in cold aire being pushe to the filter? It's hard for me to explain what I'm talking about, so I won't even try. My brain may start hurting. I just take the filter out at the track anyway, and my MAF hasn't had a screen in over 4 years. So in my case, it doesn't matter. After I wrote that, I thought hmmm....might not have been the best choice of words.
greg, how does your truck run w/o the filter? do you notice a difference at the track? what CAI do you have?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cary00silve
Well, I hate the way the volant air box is sealed with only two holes, so I started a little experiment today. I removed the right side headlight, and there is nothing restricting air flow to the front of the airbox. I decided that I could cut a rectangular piece from the front of the airbox and allow air to flow directly into the airbox. I run at the track without my headlight, so this works great. You can see the pics below. I just used a jigsaw to make the cuts and then I sanded the edges.

have you run it yet since this mod? any SOTP diff?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Launching!

I didnt want to pay the obscene amount for a ram air scoop so i made my own out of fiberglass.
Here's a render

Quick Reply: Ram Air Mod for Volant Guys