Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!

So i own a 2008 chevy 4x4 5.3, cam, gears, pac1218's, CAI, Predator Programmer with Nelson custom tune, headers, 2600, stall, ported heads, manley pushrods, 6" lift, 35" tires etc.. 23k miles

I took my truck to the dealer yesterday, It was running like crap and i had a bad spark plug over the weekend, it burned up my California Catalytic converters! I knew it, but i was hoping the dealer would step up and put new cats on, which are $500.They had my truck for 2 days and i got a phone from the shop manager,
He told me this: The first words from his mouth were "Do you have a programmer on the truck?" I told him not right now but i do own one. He then said the the programmer left a tell-tale sign on my factory computer and they could tell. He said if we wanted the cats to be under warranty, he has to send a request to GM with a snapshot of my computer with traces of tuning. He then said if GM sees those traces not only will my claim be denied BUT MY ENTIRE 100k WARRANTY WOULD BE VOIDED FOREVER! He gave several examples of people that lied and lost their whole warranty. I told him dont send Gm anything i will come get my truck and i did. I hollowed out the cats and deleted the rear o2 sensors.

LESSON LEARNED: They knew all the crap that has been done to my truck, and the only thing that made it non warrantable was the stupid programmer that i took out before i took the truck in. They did not care about a cam or CAI or headers, just the programmer.

Sorry for the long story, but i thought many would like this info.
gb

Last edited by gblauf; 03-21-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So much for diablowsports claims
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they may not have known, he was probably fishing and got you to tell. LOL Its funny they dont trip over all the other mods though.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

so you have a cam and stalled truck and your complaining about almost losing your warranty because of a programmer...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have to warranty anything that wasn't damaged as a result of the tune. CATs can be damaged by a poor tune but a water pump cannot, get my drift? He was giving you false information.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by skolman91
so you have a cam and stalled truck and your complaining about almost losing your warranty because of a programmer...
IMO,if you are worried about the warranty,leave it stock
I especially would not do a cam swap if warranty is a concern
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

you have to pay to play man , if you add hp to the truck not designed for it and something lets go should gm be obligated to bail you out ? i dont think so , this is why on all the new gm vehicles they keep track of the last 10 ecm re-flash's . in the diesel world they are required to pull your file and go through it before any warranty work is performed. this is why i wont mod my new diesel truck . im already loosing the trans /diff warranty when i lift it so all warranty work will be peroformed before hand.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

probably because on warranty claims, gm wants a printout of the computer diagnostics to honor the dealers warranty claim. the dealer could care less what other mods he has, because those wont be on the warranty claim to gm, but than can report him if they want to be a dick....at least you "fixed" the cats and saved you money
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

my dealer replaced my injectors several times... and i took my truck with a cam
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I am completely aware that my mods voided any warranties, but it is always worth a try for a $500 part! I tried to play dumb for free parts. I will never own a stock truck! I found it amazing that the programmer was the only thing they cared about!

Quick Reply: READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!