Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gblauf
I am completely aware that my mods voided any warranties, but it is always worth a try for a $500 part! I tried to play dumb for free parts. I will never own a stock truck! I found it amazing that the programmer was the only thing they cared about!
why do you even want cats if you dont want a stock truck,good thing you gutted em...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read something yesterday that the new ECU's can tell a dealership anything that's been done to it regardless of whether it's been returned to stock. Those days of beating on a car then taking it to a dealership with a stock programing are over.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I read something yesterday that the new ECU's can tell a dealership anything that's been done to it regardless of whether it's been returned to stock. Those days of beating on a car then taking it to a dealership with a stock programing are over.
Spare ECU FTW
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shoulda just got a blackbear or wheatly tune and kept the stock computer..take it in for warrenty work, throw your stock computer in and they wont see anything of a tune on it..imo
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

they should not have bused your ***** over a cat. those are warrantied for different time than other parts. I would be pissed that your service is poor and you and not trying to get parts fixed from abuse but parts needed for inspections and the environment. All these dealers closing you would think they would treat you a little better for a cat...its not like you have a TBSS and a blown trans and lie about a tune? This is why my truck got better service once its out of warranty!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to see them PROVE the programer is what caused the failure.

Personally, it's my truck. I'm gonna do what I want with it. If I void the warranty so be it. It's just red assing to see GM trying to deny warranty service when they legally cannot
Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's probably not only the programmer they cared about, but that may be the only ammunition they can use, to keep from paying for your cats.
They can't sell to you that the cam took the cats out, see what I mean?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Of course a programmer can take out the cats seeing as how it directly changes the a/f ratio. C'mon you can't do all of that to your vehicle and get upset when they tell you the warranty is denied.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Of course a programmer can take out the cats seeing as how it directly changes the a/f ratio. C'mon you can't do all of that to your vehicle and get upset when they tell you the warranty is denied.
Exactly....you're lucky they didn't void your warranty anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickleahy23
shoulda just got a blackbear or wheatly tune and kept the stock computer..take it in for warranty work, throw your stock computer in and they wont see anything of a tune on it..imo
BINGO! To bad it's not anyone's fault for not thinking of this but this is the best idea. The only problem is if you make big mechanical changes that the stock tune won't play nice with, but still a great idea.

I was reading an article back when the prius "supposedly" ran off in California and Toyota was all up on what that driver was doing from "memory points" in the ECM. I agree with most though, if you plan to mod you should plan to lose your warranties no matter what The Magnusom act states. Tuning can be debated that it can ruin lots of things. Hell your transmission is ECM controlled. Your cats are DEFINITELY affected by your tune. I also agree the dealer could in the long run really care less but has to give a ECM footprint to the factory. That's why they don't care about mechanical stuff so much. Welcome to 2010 and forward. The computer technology is at full throttle.

Quick Reply: READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!