Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Agreed, on the GMT-900's each time the computer is flashed it leaves a signature, even when the dealer has to flash it for whatever reason, but in their case the flash is recorded. Even when swapping ECM 's it will show as a battery disconnect, but I highly doubt anyone would bust your ***** over a battery disconnect as they couldn't prove why it showed up. All this started with the diesels, as people were popping them left and right. It was just a natural progression for them from there. OBD II has been the greatest thing to ever come along in my mind for the hot-rod community, due to being able to do might near anything you want to vehicle and still have it pass emissions, but I'm really afraid the end is near. Just as what happened with Casper Electronics rear O2 Simulators, the government is bound to catch on and put a stop to it all. I hope I’m wrong and it doesn’t happen anytime soon, but I can really see them eventually forcing states to go back to a sniffer test and not solely rely on the OBD II test.
Hopefully the gov't will want to keep inspection lines moving along and leave us hot rodders alone! I love the OBDII plug in...they do a visual in NJ, so the cats have to be there, but they have no way of telling what's in side them I always had big problems getting my rides to pass inspection in the past, but never a problem with my truck (knock on wood)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Warranty" isn't "insurance". The warranty's purpose is to protect the consumer against manufacturer defects. Ask any tuner why the factory calibrations are so detuned: to protect the catalytic converters and transmission, and to meet emissions.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why I have an extra set of pcm for my truck that way anytime i take it to the dealer i just take the tuned pcm out and put the stock one back on.

My cousin also had a spar set of computers and his trans blew he took it back to the dealer with the stock computers and they didnt give him a problem at all, and he was fully bolted!

Last edited by WHITE5.3L; 03-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is not at the dealer level.

GM has warranty auditors that they send to their shops to audit warranty work. both factory and GMPP (extended warranty)

If things are found that dont jive, GM does pay and will backcharge the shops for work done.

It has gone so far with the duramax trucks, that the tech must include photographic proof of the tech2 findings and VIN verification for warranty work or the claim will be denied.

Its not had to fathom that it was indeed the ECU tale tell sighs that the dealer was worried about. they dont want to be fined, backcharged or worse by the General.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what kinda of future safeguards they will install to prevent us from swapping out CPU's.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gblauf
So i own a 2008 chevy 4x4 5.3, cam, gears, pac1218's, CAI, Predator Programmer with Nelson custom tune, headers, 2600, stall, ported heads, manley pushrods, 6" lift, 35" tires etc.. 23k miles

I took my truck to the dealer yesterday, It was running like crap and i had a bad spark plug over the weekend, it burned up my California Catalytic converters! I knew it, but i was hoping the dealer would step up and put new cats on, which are $500.They had my truck for 2 days and i got a phone from the shop manager,
He told me this: The first words from his mouth were "Do you have a programmer on the truck?" I told him not right now but i do own one. He then said the the programmer left a tell-tale sign on my factory computer and they could tell. He said if we wanted the cats to be under warranty, he has to send a request to GM with a snapshot of my computer with traces of tuning. He then said if GM sees those traces not only will my claim be denied BUT MY ENTIRE 100k WARRANTY WOULD BE VOIDED FOREVER! He gave several examples of people that lied and lost their whole warranty. I told him dont send Gm anything i will come get my truck and i did. I hollowed out the cats and deleted the rear o2 sensors.

LESSON LEARNED: They knew all the crap that has been done to my truck, and the only thing that made it non warrantable was the stupid programmer that i took out before i took the truck in. They did not care about a cam or CAI or headers, just the programmer.

Sorry for the long story, but i thought many would like this info.
gb
WOW.

Heads, cam, converter...truck prolly barely runs on the stock tune, and you think they saw the programmer?

LOL...I got a bridge to sell ya!! They clearly fished this info out of you...it is obvious that a cammed out truck will NEED a tune to run properly, so you had 2 choices when they asked you about a programmer:
1. Lie and say no, at which time they would have said, yeah, that cam made you run lean and killed your cats; or
2. Tell the truth, admit to the tuner, then they blame your tune for the problem...

So. lesson here is REALLY that you should not try to warranty your truck after adding heads and cams, cause even the dumbest dealers KNOW that requires a tune.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
So much for diablowsports claims
Ha, thats a good one dude!

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
they may not have known, he was probably fishing and got you to tell. LOL Its funny they dont trip over all the other mods though.
...agreed.

Originally Posted by skolman91
so you have a cam and stalled truck and your complaining about almost losing your warranty because of a programmer...

Originally Posted by Wheatley
IMO,if you are worried about the warranty,leave it stock
I especially would not do a cam swap if warranty is a concern
...agreed.

Originally Posted by gblauf
I am completely aware that my mods voided any warranties, but it is always worth a try for a $500 part! I tried to play dumb for free parts. I will never own a stock truck! I found it amazing that the programmer was the only thing they cared about!
Again, they cared about more, you just were not paying attention to the big picture...

Originally Posted by white1
I'd love to see them PROVE the programer is what caused the failure.

Personally, it's my truck. I'm gonna do what I want with it. If I void the warranty so be it. It's just red assing to see GM trying to deny warranty service when they legally cannot
Me too....

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
it's probably not only the programmer they cared about, but that may be the only ammunition they can use, to keep from paying for your cats.
They can't sell to you that the cam took the cats out, see what I mean?
EXACTLY!!!!

Originally Posted by NicD
Of course a programmer can take out the cats seeing as how it directly changes the a/f ratio. C'mon you can't do all of that to your vehicle and get upset when they tell you the warranty is denied.
Especially if they are aware the Predator has a COT disable function, d'oh!

No need to see it, admitting its there is even worse...better off letting them try to prove it, since they cant.

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
With that much modding done, Going to the dealer to get it covered would have been the last thing on my mind..Im sure they are looking for any little excuse to not have to warranty parts. Once they hear the cam they are going to assume that it had a programmer/tune on it, Like said above he prolly needed to physically hear you say that it had a programmer on it.. Atleast your back on the road now.

Originally Posted by Sc00by
It could be a combo of cam and tune that fouled the cats up. Either way the dealership has spoke on this issue. But there is NO WAY they can legally deny your entire 100k warranty because of this issue. If your A/C went out they can not prove that the tune messed up the A/C system. If your power window went out there is no way that they can prove your cam made the window motor fail. The only thing they can deny warranty on is your cats. Now if something else fails in your drivetrain they have to prove that it was cause by a modification that was done to the vehicle (cam, injectors, etc.) A G80 option can be destroyed by adding HP. The parts that you have installed increased the stock HP which is what the G80 is designed for won't be covered under warranty if it blows up.

Originally Posted by WHITE5.3L
Thats why I have an extra set of pcm for my truck that way anytime i take it to the dealer i just take the tuned pcm out and put the stock one back on.

My cousin also had a spar set of computers and his trans blew he took it back to the dealer with the stock computers and they didnt give him a problem at all, and he was fully bolted!
extra PCM would NOT have helped here...the dealer is not retarded...heads and cam require a tune, they would have found a way to not cover this no matter what!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On another thought. As stated, it was easier to prove the tune, than to tear your engine down and look at the cam, not to mention the liability, if they did tear the engine down, then had to put it back together on their dime etc etc.

Its not what they know, its what they can prove. With the Tech 2, its easy to prove a modified PCM program, its not easy to prove internal mods.

I do question how far they could really push it. My divorce ruined my credit, so my truck is under my ole ladys name with me as a co-signer.

Therefore, Im not the primary owner as far as they know.

Situation, I helped her buy the truck, we started dating, I took over the truck, it broke, and now has a tune. Hmmm mr dealer, I had no idea. I assertained the truck used!!! How can they deny ME warranty if I have no idea about the past history of the vehicle??

I agree, gotta pay if you want to play. Modding a truck and hoping to get warranty work is a gamble. You may get a service writer that could care less, or you could get a "company man" that wants to be a service hero.