Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

really cheap summit shorty headers for 4.8-5.3???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey trey how about a nice xmas present this way lol ill pay shipping .

i can get a set of elderbrock shorties from my local exhuast guy for 125 i think it was . not sure some doctor dude took them off his yukon for dynatec's . id get them but everyone says no gains but hell for 125 dollars if it gives me a tenth or two what the hell
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My shorties seem to be working just fine
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey 8altng what ones are you running . i just dont see how people say no gains from them . if they will get me a 14.9 hell ill be up there after xmas to have them put in . and i dont have to worry about warrenty stuff either
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the edelbrock shorty headers. i had them for 4 years and the only problem that I have had with them is that the tag that is welded on them from edelbrock blew off under high boost. But once that was patched up no problems at all. I will not that the only reason I am still using the shorties is bc the backpressure actually helps me with the turbo. I would recommend longtubes on any non-turbo wehicle.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
I have the edelbrock shorty headers. i had them for 4 years and the only problem that I have had with them is that the tag that is welded on them from edelbrock blew off under high boost. But once that was patched up no problems at all. I will not that the only reason I am still using the shorties is bc the backpressure actually helps me with the turbo. I would recommend longtubes on any non-turbo wehicle.

If I remember correctly, I've noted you for saying some weird, off-ball and erroneous stuff.

this one takes the cake though. what the crap kind of back-asswards logic is this?

Forced induction, ESPECIALLY turbos need as little restriction as humanly possible. Ever look at the cams of a blown car? notice the extra exhaust? Ever see the exhaust ports of a boosted car? notice they are hogged out?

:wtf:

no. the only reason turbos are typically placed on manifolds with shorter primaries is because you want the hot air to hit the turbo as soon as possible- not to increase backpressure.

please learn this
BACKPRESSURE IS NEVER EVER DESIRED Sometimes, a design requires a compromise where backpressure has to be increased in order to achieve another benifit- but backpressure is NEVER desired. ESPECIALLY with a turbo.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
My shorties seem to be working just fine

working just fine doesn't mean good, better, best, optimal, desired or any of the above. it means combustion occurs with acceptable results in your opinion. It doesn't mean they are good or better than shorties.

Knowing that stock car engines work just fine with restictors, by your logic, we can say that restrictors are a good thing and better than no restrictor. 600hp NA sounds good to me!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
hey trey how about a nice xmas present this way lol ill pay shipping .

i can get a set of elderbrock shorties from my local exhuast guy for 125 i think it was . not sure some doctor dude took them off his yukon for dynatec's . id get them but everyone says no gains but hell for 125 dollars if it gives me a tenth or two what the hell
Im sure you are intelligent enough to read the thread and decide who knows what they are talking about and who is full of hot air. However, I encourage you to do the following.

Do yourself a favor and dont listen to ANYONE (including me, the guy that likes backpressure in the turbo he mounted on his underbody or anyone else) here.

Go look at your manifold and then look at a shorty header. You tell us if there is $125 difference there.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I know that this has been discussed alot but does anyone have "proof" that shorties do not give gains that are worthwhile. Like a dyno graph or something. Or an e.t. Alot of people say that CAI kits are worthwhile, but I didnt feel any gain SOTP and I didnt see any MPG change. To me my FIPK was not worthwhile for the 250 bucks I spent on it. I am not shooting anyones opinions down or challenging them. I am just wondering if anyone has some type of solid proof.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I've been looking around myself, and i am really convinced on the Pacesetters. But, I have a 4WD, so until they build one for 4wds, i am still just looking. I have lately been really impressed by Thorley Tri-Y's! They have a good idea behind them, and they look fantastic!

What do you guys think of them? They make 4wd headers for 4.8-6.0 (99-01)!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by treyZ28
If I remember correctly, I've noted you for saying some weird, off-ball and erroneous stuff.

this one takes the cake though. what the crap kind of back-asswards logic is this?

Forced induction, ESPECIALLY turbos need as little restriction as humanly possible. Ever look at the cams of a blown car? notice the extra exhaust? Ever see the exhaust ports of a boosted car? notice they are hogged out?

:wtf:

no. the only reason turbos are typically placed on manifolds with shorter primaries is because you want the hot air to hit the turbo as soon as possible- not to increase backpressure.

please learn this
BACKPRESSURE IS NEVER EVER DESIRED Sometimes, a design requires a compromise where backpressure has to be increased in order to achieve another benifit- but backpressure is NEVER desired. ESPECIALLY with a turbo.
WOW talk about a kick in the *****. Excuse me but i have read in the past over on LS1Tech in the forced induction section that on these STS kits people have actually seen better results from with shorty or mid lenght headers. I saw some this about hoe back pressure will help the spool better. Damb sorry if I am wrong. But lest not start bashing. Whats else have I said that is "weird, off-ball or *** backwards"????????? I dont mind critisisum(sp) but there is no need to be a *** hole about it all might one. I see that you are all knowing so I am going to recommend that they make you a moderator asap.

Quick Reply: really cheap summit shorty headers for 4.8-5.3???