Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Rear end help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end help

I just had my trucks rear end worked this past summer. I went from stock open diff 3.42:1 to posi 3.73:1. Just recently I notice gear oil is leaking from the rear. I check the back part where all bolts and gasket is located and it was pretty clean. So I checked the front part where the pinioin goes and almost had a heart attack. I found out it is dripping oil at a very slow rate. It is probably from the pinion seal. The truck is still running fine, no whine of weird noises. I am just very concerned. I suspect this leak is coming form the pinion seal. Can someone please confirm this. And if it is what is involved as far as labor and how much would it cost inclluding parts. I don't want to get shafted when I teke it to the repair shop. Thanks in advance.

File
Old 12-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear end help

Man you read my mind, i did the exact same swap 2 weeks ago and my pinion seal is leaking too. probably due to me tryin to drive the yoke into the seal, I had to take the Wear Sleeve off My yoke to be able to use the Wrong Seal they sent me. anyway a pinion seal is really easy to change, remove driveshaft. remove pinion nut"1 1/4 socket" remove yoke, pry out seal. install new seal, and lube the rubber lip with grease to prevent a dry start up. install yoke, nut and driveshaft and you should be rockin and rolling again in no time.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear end help

if you take your truck to a shop the labor time is about 1.0-1.3 hours plus $7-15 for the seal. if youo want to do it yourself just remember to mark the relation of the pinion nut to the pinion. if this gets over tightened it will have too much preload on the pinion bearings and can resault in rear end failure. and if you do it yourself or have it done make sure that the pinion yolk does not have a groove worn in it