Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Rebuilt "built" Tranny is back in, new stall...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
A turbo changes things though. Flashing it doesn't let it build any boost. Brake stalling it does.
That's a very good point. When I'm brake-stalling, the boost builds fast and hard, which allows it to up the rpm quickly. When I flash it, there is no boost built which only allows it to hit 2300rpm. My guess is that it is built this way on purpose: so that it's not sloppy and winding at higher rpms when driving "normal" and not in the boost. Then when boost is needed off launch, it can happen very quickly by brake-stalling it up.

I haven't heard back from PI on this so its only a guess at this point!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:34 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had the turbo stator put in there, right Weedo? That's what you're seeing -- it lets you build more boost brake stalling than a "regular" stator.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys have figured it out.

With the turbo setup, the torque isn't there to make the convertor flash when not brake stalling (no boost). You could fix that, but then the brake stall (with boost) would probably be way too high, and the convertor would be too loose. I'd think that if the flash stall was 3200, your brake stall would be 4500 or more (just my guess).

If you had a NA engine or a roots type blown engine, it should have a more consistent torque profile (either no or same quantity boost) than the turbo motor and therefore should have brake stall and flash stalls that are pretty similar.

Just another reason to use the brakes......
Brakes + Throttle = Boost.
Boost + Brakes Off = GONE.

'Dreamin'
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
Correction Randy, that would be ~.2 (about 2 tenths) not 1.5 (second and a half). That would put me back in the 14's!

sorry dude i made a nother misstake
Old 05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when they stall a converter for a turbo they try to set flash stall instead of being from off idle to being from off boost. since most turbo guys run the engine up on the converter a bit before launch they have to change flash stall for that reason. if they built the converter for the flash stall of 3k, when you did launch it on boost it'd be around 4k. in the case of a turbo flash stall isn't from idle, it's from the rpm that you're looking to launch it at. for ease of the drivetrain, etc, i'd recomend trying to keep your launch rpm down to around 2600 or so. just enough to get it into boost.