Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Received an answer from UPD about air box mods!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Received an answer from UPD about air box mods!

Here was my e-mail question to UPD.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">> Don't worry, the black intake is just fine but I have a question regarding
> the lower air box. I've been reading some posts from UPD users on the
truck
> forums that say opening up the air box to make it breath better may
actually
> hurt performance instead of helping with the UPD. I've made a ram-air set
up
> on my truck and am wondering if it's hurting instead of helping. What I've
> done is drilled a 4" hole through the bottom of the box and ran 4" flex
duct
> down to the bumper. I've mounted a scoop in the bumper and connected the
4"
> duct to the scoop. It really helped when I was using the stock air box top
> and tube but I wonder if it's hurting my performance now that I have a UPD
> intake. What do you think? Have you guys actually dynoed with a stock box
and
> a modified box?
> Thanks, Jim
>

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Their answer!
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Jim,

Glad to hear that everything is okay. To answer your question, there has
been dyno testing done using a stock and a modified box, and it did show a
loss of a couple of horsepower with the lower box drilled out. Apparently
there is turbulence created when the air rushes in from two different points
in the lower box. The difference is slight, but there nonetheless.

Hope that helps,

Karen
UPD

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My second set of questions back.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Karen, thanks for getting back to me. That's interesting about turbulence in the air box created by an additional hole. In your guys opinion and dyno testing, does the an unmodified air box flow enough air to feed the 5.3L engine or could more air help? If an additional hole in the air box hurts air flow because of the turbulence it creates, what about making one of the two existing holes larger? The top snorkel on the air box just pops out and creates a pretty good size hole. Have you guys thought about making and marketing a replacement snorkel to replace it? This would allow more airflow but it would still be coming from the same place so it my not create the turbulence the additional hole creates. I've even thought about trying to enlarge the top fender opening to allow more air to be draw in and leave the top snorkel piece off. I'm trying to figure out how to seal it off to the new and larger fender opening to prevent the hot engine compartment air from getting in. These have been a few of my thoughts. Sorry to bend your ear, I'm sure you've got better things to do. Thanks for your time, Jim </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll post their response when I get it.
Jim
Old 08-13-2002, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Received an answer from UPD about air box mods!

great job magnum p.i....lol
Old 08-13-2002, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I won't dispute the claims of a lose, but I will give my opinion. I did mod the box and came out with 6rw over the K&N FIPK. Now as far as dyno testing goes, 1 to 5 rwhp can happen on consecutive dynos with no changes. As far as the turbulance issue, that may be true also. I tend to think, that the filter would act as a diffuser to some degree. On my mod, I also have the horn removed. I know you don't want turbulance after the MAF. This is just my opinion. I'm sure UPD did the all the nessacary research and there info is correct. Next time I dyno, I'll see what I come up with befre and after. I would be interested in seeing that myself. None the less, I think it is still the best intake out there, and since I have had all 3 of 4 major players, and increased with each one (AirRaid, K&N FIPK, and UPD, no Volant) I'll stick with UPD.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my home made PVC intake pipe on and holy ****, it is awesome. I knew the DJ Motorsports (same as the Granatelli I think) pipe was hurting my performance with it's poor design. I will have some pics up later. I got new dual side exit exhaust put on this morning and it is the **** too.