Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reduced engine power

Okay, got an issue. Last night i was sitting idling and the truck just shut down. I tried to start it and it did not even crank. Then i turned the key to off and tried again. This time it started and ran for about 2 seconds and shut off. Did it again and it stayed running. I went home and had no issues all the way home. This morning i started the truck with no problems. Came out to get in the truck this afternoon and started it, and it ran for 2 seconds then shut off. I tried the same procedure as last night and nothing. I pop the hood to check the fuses and find that my fuel pump relay is chattering like crazy (with the key in the run position). I pull the relay and replace it with a similar relay and it does the same thing....chatters like crazy. So it seems like my fuel pump is toast i guess. Maybe its shorting out or something i dont know, but its still building pressure. I can hear the pump acting funny in the tank at the same time the relay is chattering too. I am showing 58lbs of pressure even though the relay and pump are going crazy. I take off the gauge and hook up the big fuel gauge on it....same thing 58lbs. Now, when i turn the key to start and try to crank it over, i get nothing and the REP (reduced engine power) message comes up. How to i get that message to reset and go away? Why wont it even crank over? Every once and a while the relay will stop chattering, but i still cant crank it over. Help me out here please.

Oh by the way, when the relay is chattering....the fuel gauge does not work. It shows empty tank.

Last edited by Linda; 04-28-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

doesnt ring any bells with anyone? Im guessing i am going to have to change the pump at the very least, but why doesnt it crank? And how do i clear the R.E.P. message and get it back to normal?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I had similar issues a couple of years ago,the problem was in the throttle by wire system,I replaced all the components in the system peddle,box and TPS,a new factory throttlebody finally solved the problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also check the throttle body. If you have removed the harness lately, pull it off and reseat it firmly. I had a similar issue once when I didn't firmly hook the TB back up firmly.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

thanks fella's, i will double check this in the morning. Did/could this cause the fuel pump and fuel pump relay to act this way?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

I disconnected the battery last night so hopefully the R.E.P. message will go away. I am going to check the throttle body this morning and see what i can find. Would the throttle body cause the fuel pump and fuel pump relay to act this way? Could it be the FPR? Still dont understand why it will not even crank......i turn the key and nothing at all happens. Hopefully i will have better luck today.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:50 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... will have to look into that.

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 04-29-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

well, none of that is really my issue, i cant get it to crank, much less run. So i cant make any of those diagnostic checks outlined there, but thanks ZRO26. I Checked the throttle body harness and wires...all that seems fine. The R.E.D. message pops up about the 3rd or 4th time i try to crank it. I hooked the battery back up and turn the key to the run position and all that happens is the relay chatters like crazy and gets super hot. At the same time i can hear the fuel pump acting funky in the tank. All this and it still builds 58psi like it normaly would. When i turn the key to crank it......nothing! Doesnt make a sound at all. Could it be in my PCM? I hate to drop the fuel tank for nothing. If it was cranking and the relay was acting crazy, i would not mind dropping the tank to swap out the fuel pump. But with it not cranking at all, i am worried it may be my pcm. I just cant understand why it wont even crank over.

I still have my original PCM, maybe i will try to put that in and see if it still does the same thing. Could adding that smaller pully to my supercharger the other day have F'ed with something in the PCM?

Last edited by Linda; 04-29-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well, unless someone else can give me some suggestions, i think im gonna have to drop the tank tomorrow. Can anyone explain why it wont even crank over?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure you don't just ahve a clogged fuel filter?Maybe thats why the pressure builds but it wont start....

Quick Reply: Reduced engine power