Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... no starter turns, all electronics seem fine except relay chatter. I believe you said you changed out the relay, and still no go. I'm assuming all is normal when key is in RUN position (cluster indicators normal, interior lights good, etc). While in RUN, FP runs for a second or two (that would be normal).

Dang... I'll have to dig some more for other possibilities. Wondering if ignition switch is at fault. I know that some imports have a power interrupt circuit/switch, but that usually related to security systems.

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 04-30-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZRO26T
Hmm... no starter turns, all electronics seem fine except relay chatter. I believe you said you changed out the relay, and still no go. I'm assuming all is normal when key is in RUN position (cluster indicators normal, interior lights good, etc). While in RUN, FP runs for a second or two (that would be normal).

Dang... I'll have to dig some more for other possibilities.
Also, if i have not mentioned. When the chattering starts, the fuel gauge (full/empty gauge) sits on empty, does not register at all, all othger gauges are correct. There have been a few times when the chatter would stop. When the chatter stops, the fuel gauge reads correctly at about a 1/2 tank of gas. Even when the chatter stops, the motor will still not turn over. I am going back to the garage to try and check the harness at the tank. Maybe i will try to put the other PCM in to see if the chatter stops and if it will crank. If it would at least crank over, i would be leaning more towards the fuel pump shorting out, but with it not even turning over....i cant stop thinking it has something to do with the PCM. What would make the starter not operate other than voltage and bad starter...neither of which seems to be the problem? Seems like i have 2 issues going at the same time.....starter / fuel pump. I just wish i could find a common link between the two.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 AM

At this point, that's my thoughts.

Last and only time I had REP was when I connected my audio system in my brand new Yukon (7 miles on odo), and truck went haywire all afternoon & evening... left it overnight. Got in it the next morning, no SES light & power seemed to be restored. Historical DTC present only stated low voltage. A Tech 2 will tell you exactly what's there. Guess you have no access with paying $$$.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

At this point, that's my thoughts.
Guess you have no access with paying $$$.
Not sure what that last sentence means.

Got to remember the first time this happened, i was just sitting in the driveway idling and the truck shut off. I cycled the key and it did not turn over. I cycled the key again and it started up fine. Im trying to keep all this stuff in mind while trying to find the solution...

I think i will start with the PCM swap, then try the gas tank harness. I will report back in a little while. Thanks for all the help. Hope i get it soon.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I got it! I am glad i did not drop the tank. Turned out to be a faulty PCM. I installed my original PCM in the truck and it fired right up. How weird is that? What on earth could have caused the PCM to malfunction? Could it have been from just swapping to a smaller pulley a few days ago? Im glad i got it figured out, but now i have to get back to the dyno for a re-tune. What would have caused that? Should i be worried about it happening again? Do you think its something that could have caused it to fail, or just a freak inccident? I only have a few hundred miles on the blower at the most.....but it has never had any problems until this. Anything i should inspect that may have contributed to this?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Linda
What would make the starter not operate other than voltage and bad starter...neither of which seems to be the problem?
There is also a relay for the starter in the box with the other relays. Just FYI.

Linda, I'm glad you got your problem figured out. Maybe there was a loose connector to the PCM or something broken on the PCM itself.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:20 PM

That last sentence was a typo (with -> without). NM tho. Did I miss something? I don't remember reading about a PCM swap. Had I known that I would've told ya put the OEM PCM back in from the get go. Was under the impression that this was a stock setup.

Glad ya back up & goin'. Still curious... wonder if that UD pulley was cause of issue or not.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

That last sentence was a typo (with -> without). NM tho. Did I miss something? I don't remember reading about a PCM swap. Had I known that I would've told ya put the OEM PCM back in from the get go. Was under the impression that this was a stock setup.

Glad ya back up & goin'. Still curious... wonder if that UD pulley was cause of issue or not.
Sorry, i guess i should have noted that ZRO26T. It was a westers PCM that had been dyno tuned to tweak it out. I had been running on it for over 2 months with no issues. How could a smaller whipple pulley (not crank pulley) have caused that failure? I had not had it tuned for the new pulley yet......maybe thats why. Anyhow, i should be able to get it back on the dyno this week and get it tuned back up. Would have been nice to have EFILive so i could do it myself. I may have to breakdown (no pun intended) and get it soon.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Linda,

As an electrical engineer who works with engine controllers for a living (albeit diesel instead of gas) I can tell you with 100% confidence that the smaller pulley had NOTHING to do with the pcm getting fried. It was merely a coincidence that the two happened together. Most likely there was either a manufacturing defect (I've seen it happen) or Westers touched one of the pins without grounding himself first, which caused a static spark and ESD damage, which typically shows up about 3-6 months later. Continue to enjoy your new pulley, get a tune, and make Westers give you a new pcm.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
Linda,

As an electrical engineer who works with engine controllers for a living (albeit diesel instead of gas) I can tell you with 100% confidence that the smaller pulley had NOTHING to do with the pcm getting fried. It was merely a coincidence that the two happened together. Most likely there was either a manufacturing defect (I've seen it happen) or Westers touched one of the pins without grounding himself first, which caused a static spark and ESD damage, which typically shows up about 3-6 months later. Continue to enjoy your new pulley, get a tune, and make Westers give you a new pcm.
Thanks GMC_DUDE...its already on the way.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine power