Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out here, i forgot to do that..
Old 05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linda, I just saw this but I would still check your grounds, it initially (as I read through this) sounded like a ground problem but sounds like the PCM...
Good luck
Dave
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
Linda,

As an electrical engineer who works with engine controllers for a living (albeit diesel instead of gas) I can tell you with 100% confidence that the smaller pulley had NOTHING to do with the pcm getting fried. It was merely a coincidence that the two happened together. Most likely there was either a manufacturing defect (I've seen it happen) or Westers touched one of the pins without grounding himself first, which caused a static spark and ESD damage, which typically shows up about 3-6 months later. Continue to enjoy your new pulley, get a tune, and make Westers give you a new pcm.
Sorry just saw this thread. Been busy for a few days. I do my own tuning with HP Tuners and your PCM issue has no correlation to the pulley install. I have done 3 on my truck. The Reduced Engine Power Mode also is a safety that GM programs in the truck to prevent the user from driving the truck when a critical parameter is out of tolerance. There are a multitude of issues that will throw the truck into this mode and most if not all thow a DTC.
Had I caught this earlier I would have suggested the PCM because I know that the recent addition of a blower or smaller pulley always results in a new tune. Most people will recieve a new (Used) PCM through mail order from a tuner. Most guys recycle PCM's so that would have been the most logical place to start. When changing out a PCM it is imperative that the battery be disconnected or the electronics in the PCM are subjected to stray voltage/cross voltage/insufficient grounds for a brief period.

With all this said, I am glad you got it figured out Linda. I too have had issues with my PCM, mostly due to low battery voltage while I am reflashing.

Good Luck.....